Communications Advisor - South Sudan NGO Forum
Position Title: Communications Advisor
Position Type: Expatriate Consultant
Location: Juba, South Sudan with potential field visits
Work Station: Secretariat Office, Concern Worldwide Compound
Reporting to: NGO Secretariat Director
Start Date: April 2018
The South Sudan NGO Secretariat coordinates the efforts of the NGO Steering Committee as voted representatives of the South Sudan NGO Forum, which had 127 international NGOs and 184 national NGOs in 2017. The NGO Secretariat exists for the purpose of coordination, information sharing, advocacy, policy/position paper production, government/donor/UN engagement and engagement on other vital issues regarding humanitarian relief, recovery and development.
The NGO Secretariat Communications Advisor leads the work of the NGO Forum on strategy development and issues related to internal and external communications management. The Advisor has a responsibility of streamlining communications through producing specific types of information and communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot programmes etc.). The Advisor leads the promotion of NGO Forum’s media coverage and developing media strategy and action plan.
The Communications Advisor will work alongside the Information Manager with whom he or she will work to compile and design NGO Forum publications (such as the Annual Report), establish internal information sharing systems and provide recommendations for internal Secretariat information and communications management.
The NGO Secretariat Communications Advisor supports the work of the NGO Forum through the following key tasks:
Strategy design, development and implementation
Lead the design, development and implementation of the NGO Forum communications strategy including NGO Forum weekly and monthly bulletins, the social media strategy and the NGO Forum information management strategy based on membership priorities and feedback.
Regularly track and evaluate matrices of success and adapt strategies to grow and improve outreach results over time.
Develop and implement, with the Information Manager, an “Information and Communications Pack” for the NGO Forum, especially for new NGO Forum Members in coordination with the Secretariat Director, the NNGO Focal Point, the Security Focal Point and the Information Manager, in order to ensure that appropriate information and communications is provided to NGO Forum members and relevant stakeholders.
External communications and engagement:
- Build strategic partnerships to maximize the NGO Forum’s communications impact, consolidating and building upon outreach efforts and manage NGO Forum’s proactive relations with global media.
- Ensure the consistency of the NGO Forum’s public position through communications across media and digital platforms including NGO Forum website, Relief web, Twitter, Facebook and others.
- Document and share lessons learnt and the best practices for humanitarian and development assistance delivery in South Sudan.
- Develop innovative solutions to enhance the NGO Forum’s visibility, online presence and impact on the humanitarian and development assistance delivery in South Sudan. This includes identifying and establishing relationships with actors relevant to NGO Forum activities (global and regional NGO Forum networks, training agencies, global humanitarian and development platforms etc.).
- Pro-actively reach out to, develop and manage linkages with other humanitarian networks including UNOCHA’s 5Ws, sectoral clusters, other capacity building organisations etc.
Quality assurance and content management.
Working with Information Manager to ensure that information and communications products released by the NGO Secretariat maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective, based on comprehensive data and comply with relevant professional requirements.
Monitor and analyse current events, public opinion and press, identify issues and trends and advise the Secretariat Director and the Steering Committees on appropriate action/responses.
Working with Information Manager, produce specific types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.) of information and communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot programs, newsletters etc.) appropriate to the NGO Forum’s work.
Lead in promoting media coverage (e.g. press conferences, press releases, interviews, press seminars and other special activities) of priority issues and/or major events whenever required by the Secretariat, Forum Members or the Steering Committees.
Manage the content development and communications outreach for NGO Forum annual events such as the Annual NNGO Expo, Annual Country Directors and National Directors meetings, World Humanitarian Day etc.
Disseminate NGO Forum public information materials and consult with the press and public on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertake appropriate follow up action and report on the impact of coverage.
Internal communications coordination, capacity building and technical support:
Analyse the NGO Secretariat and the NGO Forum’s communications systems and institute relevant adjustments/changes to strengthen them.
Provide technical support and trainings to the NGO Secretariat team members within areas of specialisation as required e.g. effective team communications, client handling and customer care.
Mentor and support the development of NGO Forum members’ communications and information team.
Provide induction and briefing to all new staff and new directors of member organisations as required.
Perform other related duties as requested by the NGO Secretariat Director.
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum five years of progressive international experience working with UN, NGOs and/or Donor agencies preferably including work in fragile environments.
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications, information management, political or social sciences or related area.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Track record of producing various types of communications and information products including reviewing/editing reports, producing PowerPoint presentations, developing one-page memos, leaflets, web-based content, position papers, press statements and managing the production of web pages.
- Demonstrated improvements in programs or services including taking calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinking ‘’outside the box’’, showing an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things.
- Documented skills in online information management, database design, data analysis, graphic design, social media, print media and visual/audio media management.
- Significant understanding of complex relationships between NGOs, governments, and UN agencies in South Sudan.
- Demonstrated skills in MS Office, Google apps, Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS/QGIS an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Flexibility, multi-tasking and teamwork.
- Previous work experience in the region and preferably Sudan/South Sudan.
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net by closing date. CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.
Concern Worldwide is an Irish-based non-governmental, international, humanitarian organisation dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.