HQ BASED POSITION – FINANCE OPERATIONS DESK MANAGER – NIGERIA –
THE ALIMA ASSOCIATION
ALIMA’S SPIRIT: ALIMA’s purpose is to save lives and provide care for the most vulnerable populations, without any discrimination based on identity, religion or politics, through actions based on proximity, innovation, and the alliance of organizations and individuals. We act with humanity and impartiality in accordance with universal medical ethics. To gain access to patients, we undertake to act in a neutral and independent manner.
Our CHARTER defines the VALUES and PRINCIPLES of our action:
- Putting the Patient First
- Revolutionizing humanitarian medicine
- Responsibility and freedom
- Improve the quality of our actions
- Placing trust
- Collective intelligence
CARING – INNOVATING – TOGETHER:
Since its creation in 2009, ALIMA has treated more than 3 million patients. Today ALIMA works in 10 countries in Western and Central Africa. In 2018 we plan to work in 41 projects including 10 research projects focusing on malnutrition, Ebola and Lassa fever. All of these projects will support national health authorities through more than 320 health facilities (including 28 hospitals and 294 health facilities). Alima intervenes in response to humanitarian crises and patients are at the heart of all our actions. We work in partnership whenever possible to ensure that our patients benefit from the best and most relevant expertise wherever it is, whether within their own country or in the rest of the world.
MAIN MISSION AND RESPONSABILITIES
The Finance Operation Manager (FOM) main objective is to provide ALIMA’s teams with the best level of budget visibility and analysis, and to control the financial risks of our operations. FInancial visibility is key for your teams to make decisions and run operations with agility, ensuring that the patients come first.
He/she ensures that all Finance work is led in a collaborative manner and in a way that respects ALIMA’s Charters and empowers project teams.
- You will collaborate with the operations and finance teams at all levels of the organisation to ensure budget visibility and analysis. Anticipation and information flow are key.
- You will actively look for advice and support from all people around you, ensuring you listen and take on board feedback and expertise.
- You will identify financial risks and communicate about those, ensuring that you propose preventive actions.
- You will ensure that our funding partners are informed in a timely manner and with the right level of information, through quality financial reporting.
You will coordinate and communicate with the head office teams, including accounting, quality assurance, finance and operations, in order to:
- Improve the quality of financial data and enable a quality analytical allocation system.
- Limit the risk of fraud and support or run control audits.
- Give visibility on the planning of expenses and receipts.
- Set up and run an efficient resource management analysis system with the aim to improve the quality of operations and control financial risks.
This newly created position is part of a new team which needs to find its own way of working ensuring that the principles and values lying within our Charter are at the heart of how they work with others as much as with and for the patients.
You are …
- University trained in Financial Management
- a seasoned professional who has worked at least 5 years in Finance management, including in the field with an NGO or International Organisation
- passionate about ALIMA’s raison d’être and you are a keen humanitarian worker
- experienced in dealing with Institutional Donors, both government and UN
- in love with EXCEL and the likes and you dream of excel formulas at night
- enjoy supporting others, finding solutions and managing people
- keen on taking initiatives that support efficient operations
- great at communicating with others, and know what information is key and how to share it, adapting your communication style to the people around you
- deeply convinced that data without analysis is worthless and analysis is a skill you have developed over the years together with your capacity to synthesize information and share it
- convinced that understanding the figures helps understand our operations and contributes to their improvement
- not the best in your field, and this knowledge makes you the best at looking for advice and expertise and integrating those in your daily work
- an avid reader and a great learner and you strongly believe in Daniel J. Boorstin’s saying:
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
You also know how to use financial management systems such as SAGA or ODOO
Double accounting has no secret for you
You are fluent in both English and French, both in writing and speaking
Contract : Open Ended Contract, 3 months probationary period renewable once – maximum 6 months of probationary period.
Salary: this is an HQ position and as such is paid according to HQ compensation and benefits policies which are different from expatriate positions since the position and contract are long term
Total cash package: equivalent to 2 749 Euros net, after tax
– travel costs between the employee’s country of origin and Abuja, Nigeria, unless recruited locally;
– Five weeks annual leave per year as well as a recovery system for days spent on work travels; + one additional month paid leave after 3 years at HQ
– One round trip per year between Abuja and the employee’s country of origin for the employee and her / his dependents + one individual round trip ;
– One-off relocation allowance at the beginning of the contract in Abuja;
– School annual enrollment fees for children from 2 to 18, according to the ALIMA HQ policy;
– Medical cover insurance including repatriation insurance for the employee and her/ his dependents, as per the definition of our insurer.
HOW TO APPLY : To apply, please send your CV and your answers to the following questions (which stands for a classical cover letter) to email@example.com with the reference “Finance Operations Desk Manager_NIGERIA” in the subject line:
- Why are you applying in light of ALIMA’s operational approach and CHARTER? https://www.alima-ngo.org/en/our-charter
- What are the 5 first actions you take when you first open a mission/project ?
- Explain how you control the security of cash and treasury of a mission with multiple projects in different locations ?
- When would you be available to start ?
- Reference check: please indicate the names of 2 previous managers as well as 1 HQ HR contact.
N.B.: Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful.
Only full applications (CV + answer to questions) will be taken into account.