We are looking for an experienced individual to join our EHU (Emergency Health Unit) team as WASH Manager, playing a key role in supporting the Save the Children Humanitarian Health, Nutrition, HIV and WASH Strategy to improve humanitarian response.
The Emergency Health Unit is an ambitious, high priority new initiative within Save the Children which has seen us invest in specialist health and operations teams, covering both primary and secondary health care across the world. The unit ensures a pre-standing emergency health capacity, including medical supplies, logistics and skilled medical personnel to deploy anywhere in the world in the event of a major disaster or conflict.
Primary health teams are resourced to deliver primary health clinics, cholera responses and mass vaccination programmes in emergencies supporting country programmes and larger SC humanitarian responses. The teams are able to deploy as required anywhere in the world but each team has a specific geographical focus, this position is focused on East Africa and proportion of emergency preparedness work will be in this region.
As WASH Manager you will lead on all technical aspects supporting the WASH activities for an effective Basic Emergency Response including WASH facilities for Cholera Treatment Centre treatment facilities, primary health care services including mobile clinics and disease outbreaks. As WASH Manager you will also be tasked with recruitment and training of WASH officers, Health promoters and Hygienists on operation. You will also:
- Provide rapid assessments of WASH related needs in emergencies
- Contribute to the specification of WASH kit contents for EHU teams and liaise closely with logistics for procurement
- Undergo programme specific training to contribute to the team
- Support country teams to prepare for emergencies
- Develop waste management and infection prevention control (IPC) measures
- Contribute to donor proposals and WASH components of donor and organisational reports.
To be successful you will have extensive experience working in a WASH management role within a complex country programme with donor and budget constraints in an emergency response. You will have experience working in a Cholera Treatment Centre as well as experience working in infectious disease outbreak. You will also have:
- Previous experience of health care facility, water, sanitation, wastewater, waste management and waste disposal
- Previous experience managing a WASH team at a national level
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- The ability to work both in an advisory and a hand on implementation capacity
- Experience of preparing successful funding proposals for donors and demonstrable ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff.
A Masters level degree in Public Health, Water Engineering or a related subject and proficiency in a 2nd language, ie French or Arabic, is desirable.
At Save the Children our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we'll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please be aware applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, as and when applications are submitted. Therefore, early applications are encouraged.
Closing date: 2nd April 2018 &
To apply please visit our website via the link below: