Finance and Compliance Lead - Amman, Jordan
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives. Recognizing both the great potential and the complex challenges faced by the Middle East, since 1989 Mercy Corps has been implementing a range of humanitarian assistance and development programs tailored to the specific needs of the region and of those communities where we work.
General Position Summary
The Finance and Compliance Lead is a key member of the finance department, and, as such, supports all aspects of financial management of the Syria program, working collaboratively with entire finance, program and operations teams, to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations. S/he works under the direction of the Finance Director and is responsible for general accounting and compliance functions, while extensively supporting grants management, budgeting and financial reporting functions, and providing overall assistance to the Finance Director in leading the department. S/he collaboratively works with all field/hub teams to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently, and a wide range of operational needs of the country program are met.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Daily management and oversight of the general accounting function of Syria program, design and development of associated processes and workflows
- Technical support to the field offices on the accounting and compliance matters, including answering daily questions, training new hires etc
- Maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and properly safeguarded
- Manage monthly standard accounting submissions to Mercy Corps Headquarters, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by cost center/project and other financial information
- Oversight and management of banking relations and planning and monitoring country cash flow requirements to ensure smooth implementation of Mercy Corps programs. This includes management of the remote banking function and extensive coordination with HQ and field teams to ensure timely processing of payments
- Provide high quality financial reviews of financial transactions, ensure effective, transparent use of financial resources in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures, and train all finance and compliance staff on the same
- Develop and maintain adequate filing and archiving system for all financial records, both electronic and hard copies, ensure audit readiness at all times
- Ongoing assessment of the internal controls and segregation of duties, updating Segregation of Duties Matrix as appropriate
- Review and support of various level system set-up and staffing for the revised Syria Program Structure. Performing skill gap analysis and providing recommendations to the Finance Director.
- Providing assistance to the Finance Director and Budgeting and Financial Analysis Unit in the development/maintenance of the master budget for Syria program.
- Assistance with budget development process for new proposals and grant modifications
- Providing assistance with the generation and analysis of the pipelines, and overall assistance with development and maintenance of budgeting and budget monitoring systems.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
STRATEGY & VISION
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment of empowerment.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
All General Accounting and Compliance staff (6-7 staff)
Reports Directly To: Finance Director
Works Directly With: Budgets and Financial Analysis Unit; Field finance teams; members of Operations, Program Managers, HQ Regional Finance Officer (with authority for technical financial matters) and others
Knowledge and Experience
- A BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance required; advanced degree preferred.
- At least 4-5 years progressive financial management experience, including supervisory experience required.
- At least 4 years' experience in grants management as well as an understanding of major donor regulations required.
- At least 3 years' international experience required; international NGO/PVO field office experience is preferred.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
The successful candidate will have an ability to interact effectively across international and national program and finance teams successfully, both in a managerial as well as training capacity. S/he will be able to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information, have a demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics and the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The Finance Manager must be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The Finance and Compliance Lead is based in Amman and is required to travel to the field locations up to 5% of his/her time. It is a secure location with access to main medical and other amenities. Housing is individual accommodation with unlimited freedom of movement beyond the house/office. The location is unaccompanied.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.