Adviser Gynaecology and Obstetrics (m/f)
I. GENERAL INTRODUCTION
Médecins Sans Frontières – Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V. (MSF Germany) is the German section of the international medical aid organisation, Médecins Sans Frontières, which focuses on medical humanitarian aid in crisis situations worldwide.
MSF’s main objective is to preserve human life and to alleviate suffering, while protecting human dignity and seeking to enhance the ability of people to make their own decisions. MSF works towards these goals by providing medical aid and acting as a witness to events affecting populations in danger. MSF typically works in acute crises such as armed conflicts when the very survival of communities may be threatened. Its work is guided by respect for medical ethics and humanitarian principles.
While MSF Germany’s primary partner within the MSF Movement is the Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA), it has also been expanding its medical support to its secondary partner, the Operational Centre Geneva (OCG). To this end, MSF Germany has set up the Berlin Medical Unit (BeMU).
The Berlin Medical Unit (BeMU)
The BeMU has three complementary fields of expertise: the Quality of Medical Care, Surgical Activities and Emergency Medicine. BeMU activities focus on supporting the OCG and its projects in the field. The unit consists of a Head of Unit, a Deputy Head of Unit, a Quality of Care coordinator, two surgeons, an anaesthetist and an Emergency and Critical Care specialist. They are working closely with the Medical and Operational Departments of the OCG.
II. POSITION WITHIN THE ORGANISATION
The Adviser for Gynaecology and Obstetrics reports directly to the Head of the Berlin Medical Unit. In medical cases the communication line includes the Medical Department in Geneva, particularly the Unit for Women and Children’s Health; for field activities the advisor works closely with the Geneva-based Cells in charge of operations and, at times, the Country Coordination team managing operations in project countries.
III. OBJECTIVE OF THE POST
· Provide medical expertise with regard to gynaecological and obstetrical care
· Support the implementation of new gynaecological/obstetrical activities, including emergency projects.
· Further develop and continuously update guidelines, protocols and other methodological tools for field teams
· Strengthening the gynaecological and obstetrical care capacity through mentoring of physicians and care givers and supporting the Medical and Human Recourse Department with expert advice
· Closely collaborate with the Reproductive Health Advisor and Medical Operational Support Officer for Maternal and Reproductive Health based in Geneva
IV. KEY TASKS
Provide expert support to OCG Headquarter and the field by:
· Answering gyn/obs related enquiries from the field and offering expert advice via email and/or telephone communication and being part of the telemedicine platform.
· Brief and debrief field physicians and other medical staff as needed.
· Support the assessment of OBGYN specialists applying for employment and contribute to the development of job descriptions for new positions.
· Support and advise the OCG Responsable Medicale Polyvalents (RMP) concerning planned and existing projects.
Integrate medical tools and policies to specific contexts:
· Participate in efforts to define the future strategy of OCG concerning Gynaecology and Obstetrics.
· Contribute to the improvement of medical data management.
· Actively engage in the intersectional working group for Sexual and Reproductive Health
· Ensure OCG benefits from up-to-date medical knowledge allowing it to provide evidence-based medicine in humanitarian contexts.
· Support and compose guidelines and clinical instructions as needed.
Strengthen the skills and competencies of field teams:
· Implement new Gynaecology and Obstetric activities in the field and conduct regular field visits to ensure and improve the quality of care.
· Perform ‘on-the-job’ training and mentoring of physicians and actively contribute to the capacity building of national and international staff.
· Contribute to the evaluation of field physicians when relevant.
Contribute to Networking, Advocacy and Research
· Develop gynaecological and obstetrical expertise in the low-resource setting and integrate external knowledge into MSF practices
· Enable and contribute to high level advocacy in order to trigger change
· Support the implementation of innovation and operational research into projects
· Perform representative tasks as delegated by the Head of the Berlin Medical Unit or General Director of MSF Germany.
V. PROFILE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Medical Doctor, specialised in OBGYN
· Proven strategic and analytical skills needed to review medical programs in humanitarian contexts
· At least one year field experience as an OBGYN specialist with MSF, or other humanitarian actors
· Excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills; ability to develop productive networks within OCG headquarters and field missions
· Knowledge and experience of the humanitarian world; commitment and passion for the goals and work of MSF
· Flexibility to travel and support projects abroad – eventually this could reach up to 50% of the time
· Fluency in English required, ability to communicate in French an advantage
· Good level of flexibility and stress resistance
· Knowledge and experience in quality assurance and assessment in medical humanitarian aid
· ALSO instructor certificate
WE ARE OFFERING
· A German employment contract for two years with a full-time appointment based on 5 days per week, with the option for renewal
· A gross monthly salary in group 6 between € 3.499,00 and € 4.429,00, depending upon relevant work experience
· Other benefits including 30 days vacation and 13 monthly salaries per year.
· A stimulating, professional working environment in an international organisation.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Further information can be obtained from:
- on content of the job:
Dr. Inga Osmers: +49 30 700 130 183, firstname.lastname@example.org
- on procedural and contractual questions:
Anja Jedzig, HR Officer (Berlin): +49 30 700 130 216, email@example.com
The interviews will take place in calendar week 12.
Please note that we do not cover travel expenses for a first round interview in Berlin.
Please submit your complete written application in English (incl. letter of motivation, CV and certificates) by E-Mail and integrate all documents in 1 file (pdf welcome).
The deadline for applications is 28.02.2018.
Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V.
z. Hd. Anja Jedzig
Am Köllnischen Park 1, 10179 Berlin
 Person with medical background in charge of all medical issues in an operational cell