SENIOR PROTECTION COORDINATOR - Greece
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
1. Terms of reference
Job Title: Senior Protection Coordinator
Duty Station: Thessaloniki with frequent travel to Ioannina
Starting date: 22/01/2018
Contract duration: until 31 of March 2018 (renewable)
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 3 Protection Coordinators + Monitoring of all Protection Staff
2. General context of the project
INTERSOS in Greece operates a number of accommodation solutions, with the aim of providing holistic support and an interim arrangement till long term/durable solutions are available to the persons serviced. Throughout the duration of its mission it has focused on holistic service provision, the search for local contextualised solutions and strong rooting in community based protection.
Currently INTERSOS runs Agia Eleni Accommodation Facility in Ioannina, Epirus and across Ioannina and Thessaloniki offers accommodation in apartments to 260 persons.
Continuing to build on the previous expertise INTERSOS focuses on support to local actors, particularly civil society with a view to capacity building.
3. General purpose of the position
Ensure the mainstreaming of all protection mechanisms, tools and upholding protection standards for INTERSOS Greece. With a focus on adult case management and complex contexts
4. Main responsibilities and tasks
Under the supervision and guidance of the Head of Mission The Senior Protection Coordinator is a focal person across the INTERSOS Project in Greece and will be responsible for the continuation of the implementation of the strategic vision and direction of INTERSOS Protection Programming in Greece. S/he will:
- Ensure that all protection mechanisms are mainstreamed holistically
- Be responsible for the overall supervision, management and quality implementation of the protection programme
- Oversee the collection and management of data with a focus on strengthening implementation of confidentiality
- Oversee the implementation and planning of SGBV protection action, and other sectors accordingly e.g. CP
- Work extensively with other sectors to ensure the protection mainstreaming into all areas of action.
Provide overall management of the protection portfolio through direct supervision of Protection Teams and their coordinators with sole or collaborative supervision of the implementation of
- Protection and Adult Case Management
- Mental Health Support and PSS Activities
- Community Engagement and Communicating with Communities programming
With the aforementioned, lead in ensuring the maintenance of effective and safe referral pathways. With an eye to support of state systems and existing services.
Represent INTERSOS before local authorities and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (such as other NGO’s, local and international organizations, donors, civil and military authorities) particularly within Protection related dialogue, keeping track of referral pathways and mechanisms created and established within the region of project implementation. Special focus is placed on the need to inform action and encourage advocacy based on the Protection vision of INTERSOS In Greece.
Advocate and support for the implementation of durable solutions within a holistic framework of protection.
- Responsible for co-planning for effective mechanisms to strengthen and promote the resilience and reduced dependency of INTERSOS hosted persons with a view to self-reliance.
- Ensure the roll out of regular staff trainings aiming at mainstreaming protection concepts across all the INTERSOS Greece team.
- Implement an effective protection monitoring system. According to UNHCR and INTERSOS protection guidelines, overseeing the correct implementation of the latter.
- Implement an accurate and reporting system for tracking for Grant and Donor and internal reporting purposes
- Perform other tasks and duties as required in order to ensure a correct implementation of project activities.
- Work in close collaboration with the Project Manager – Logistics Coordinator and under supervision of the Head of Mission, particularly in relation to the monitoring of project expenditure with support from the admin and finance teams.
5. Required profile and experience
Preferred MA/MSc equivalent in social science, social work, law, humanities or other related discipline
- Prior Experience in Case Management
- Prior Experience in Staff Management
- Prior experience working in complex contexts is an asset
- Experience in livelihoods and self-reliance programming is an Asset
- Experience with Community Engagement is preferred
- Effective presentation skills
- Ability to implement capacity building and training activities
- Strong understanding of international legal systems related to RSD and protection – understanding of the Greek context is an asset
- Excellent English
- Greek knoledge is an asset
- Strong oral and written communication skills
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS' platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to email@example.com , with subject line: "SR-51-371 Senior Protection Coordinator - Greece".
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.