Deputy Livelihood and Food Security Program Manager
· **JOB SUMMARY***:*
The Deputy Program Manager is responsible assisst the FSL Program Manager in managing the Food Security and Livelihood Program. S/he support the projects implementation in the field. S/he will contribute to program strategy, ensure close coordination and integration with all FSL projects.
The Livelihood Deputy Program Manager liaises directly with local partner organiations and CARE staff including CARE consultants to facilitate the implementation of the project components.
The Livelihood Deputy Program Manager is responsible for ensuring that staff under his or her management conduct their work according to CARE standards and in line with key relevant guidelines.
· RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Responsibility #1: Staff Management
· Manages and supervises her or his team including setting weekly and monthly detailed work plans for members of his/her team including organizing staff deployments, leave etc.
· Ensures with the PM that work procedures and if relevant standard operating procedures (SOPs) and in place, understood and being carried out.
· Monitors the work of the team through regular reporting and ensures the team produce reports and key project documentation (case notes and reports, meeting notes, project visit reports, activity reports, photos and so on).
· Ensures project components are recorded by the team e.g. beneficiaries recorded on database if required.
· Supports her or his team members in their everyday work working though problems, advising, coaching. Supports team members to resolve problems and advises on achieving effective project results.
· Ensures that the team receives the required technical and logistics support as required;
· Ensures the team performs according to CARE standard practices and relevant codes of conduct are adhered with.
· Assesses with the Program Manager the FSL team, partner and CARE consultant skills gaps, information and training needs.
· Conducts bi-annual performance appraisal as per the organizations policies and procedure for staff under his/her responsibility
· Provide training, guidance, and support to the staff members to effectively perform their duties and promote a strong team spirit.
Job Responsibility #2 Program Design
Work in development and/or updating of South Syria Unit empowerment related strategies that will guide staff and partners during the implementation of livelihoods focused projects:
- Regularly gather and collect information related to food security and livelihoods needs at field level in order to ensure a needs-based approach to program design.
- Contribute and support the Program Manager to design and implement appropriate food security and livelihoods programming, with special focus on interventions such as agricultural programming, livestock, small business development and cash-based programming.
- Provide support for programmatic and technical livelihoods activities, supporting the Program Manager in development and implantation of strategic direction for project operations.
- Ensure efficiency and effectiveness of program design and implementation strategies for appropriate livelihoods programs.
- Work on detailed implementation plans, including budget design, M&E plan development, procurement plans and indicator tracking plans under the guidance of the Program Manager.
- Working with Program Manager to establish targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Contribute to writing project proposals under the Program Manager’s supervision.
Job Responsibility #3: Project Implementation
- Ensures that the project components for which s/he is responsible are implemented as outlined in the respective project agreements and in accordance with CARE principles;
- Ensure monthly updates of key project implementation tools including, but not limited to the project implementation plan, spending plan, M&E plan and procurement plan with the support of the Program Manager
- Designs resilience livelihood and skills building activities in close collaboration with the Program Manager and relevant staff members at CARE and implementing partners.
- Actively participate in team meetings and provide regular reports in line with the project agreement and work plan to the Program Manager.
- Manage projects budget lines and ensure proper and effective use of program resources. Maintain regular contact with project implementation partners (referral partners; CBOs implementing parts of the project; sub grantees; contractors, experts etc.) to ensure effective performance of project partners in project implementation;
- Monitors implementation of any contracts or agreements with these parties;
- Working in line with the M&E systems to support beneficiary accountability, donor reporting, performance metrics and organizational learning.
- Contributes to needs assessment and monitoring of the beneficiary groups and of partners. Analyzes and evaluates beneficiaries social, economic and psychological situation and approve recommendations on services to be provided by the program
Responsibility # 4: Staff Security
•Promote a safe and secure work environment; foster a safety and security culture; and ensure consistent application of, and compliance with, CARE Syria safety and security policies and procedures
Job Responsibility #5: Representation & Coordination
- Liaises with other stakeholders and partners (UN agencies, government other NGOs and agencies) to ensure coordination, presents CARE’s work and ensures coherence of the project with other similar activities;
- Participates actively in relevant coordination groups as assigned by the Program Manager
- Helps facilitate and participate in project visits e.g. by donors;
- Ensures communication and joint working with other CARE projects and teams (e.g. to refer beneficiaries or to ensure other colleagues are informed about project progress);
- Analyze feedback from beneficiaries (questions and inquiries) and report back regularly.
Job Responsibility #5: Other duties as assigned by the Program Manager.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Science, Development Studies, Community Development, Social Sciences, Business Administration or combination of relevant Education and Experience
B. Managerial Know How
Involves integrating and harmonizing requirements of diverse functions in operating, support, and administrative situations. It may be exercised through consultation as well as direct action; Management requires a combination of planning, organizing, controlling, and reviewing along with direct and indirect execution. Choose one of the following: Task; Minimal; Related; Diverse; Broad.
This position requires (Related) managerial know-how.
§ At least 5-7 years of experience in the NGO environment, mainly emergency and development with at least 2-3 years’ experience in food security and livelihoods
§ Demonstrated experience in project management
§ Demonstrated experience in management of small teams (3-5 staff) in complex settings
§ Demonstrated experience working through a partnership approach to implementation
§ Experience in effective finance and budgetary management of projects over 1M.
· Demonstrated experience working in remote management
· Demonstrated experience managing technical food security and livelihoods projects (e.g. cash, agricultural, livestock and/or value chains)
D. Skills Required
· Experience in livelihood concept and Food Security issues in both emergency and development.
· Experience of managing and developing small team and the ability to motivate and develop others.
· Project Management, Effective follow up and planning skills.
· Good knowledge in administration, HR and procurement policies and procedures.
E. Human relations skills
Consists of active practicing skills in the area of human relationships. In the work context Human Relations Skills include all capabilities that are needed to interact on a direct person-to-person basis, and through varied approaches build understanding of, acceptance of, or commitment to, courses of action that are important for the organization. These skills may be applied in relation to peers, subordinates or peers within the organization, or to people outside the organization. Human relations skills could be Basic, Important (Influencing) or Critical (See Guidelines for definitions).
The Human Relations Skills for this position are designated as Important.
If you're interested please send your c.v to the email below :