JIPS Web & Digital Communications Associate
Web & Digital Communications Associate with JIPS
Title: Web & Digital Communications Associate
Duration: 6 months, from February till July 2018
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Position: full time internship (100%)
The Web & Digital Communications Associate will receive a monthly allowance.
JIPS – the Joint IDP Profiling Service – is an inter-agency service, which was set up in 2009. Based in Geneva, JIPS is supervised by an Executive Committee (ExCom) comprised of the Danish Refugee Council (DRC), the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), the Office of the Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of IDPs, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). JIPS is hosted by DRC in Geneva.
Our goal is to promote collaborative responses and solutions to displacement situations across the world, in particular for internally displaced persons (IDPs), by equipping governments, national statistical offices, humanitarian and development actors, and other partners with accurate information to inform improved joint responses. These insights are generated from data collected and disaggregated by sex, age, location and diversity in the affected countries that ask for our support. Read more about JIPS.
JIPS is planning to revise its current website, created in 2012, in order to make it more user-friendly and technically as well as visually up-to-date. While the new website will be elaborated in collaboration with a web development contractor, the intern is expected to provide support throughout the process, including the conceptualisation, design, development, testing and implementation phases. The intern will also contribute to other areas of JIPS’ communication activities.
Description of duties
As part of the Communications & Advocacy Unit and under the supervision of JIPS’ Communications & Advocacy Officer, in close collaboration with the JIPS team, the Web & Digital Communications Associate will be expected to:
- Support the process of elaboration, development and implementation of the new website, which may include performing creative functions to inform an user-friendly architecture and experience, as well as a visually appealing interface and functionalities;
- Support the migration and updating of contents from the current to the new website.
In addition, the Web & Digital Communications Associate may also be asked to contribute to other areas of JIPS’ communication activities, such as:
- Updating the content on JIPS’ current website and supporting the development of new content, in line with JIPS’ communication strategy;
- Writing or reviewing of items for the JIPS blog or other JIPS publications;
- Contributing to dissemination activities and campaigns, including social media and the JIPS Newsletter.
- Supporting the monitoring and evaluation of digital communications activities (website, social media, the DART, the JET, etc.), including using Google Analytics, to inform monthly internal analysis and reporting.
In addition, the Associate may support the JIPS team on other projects, as needed
- Studies related to digital communications, web design, and/or other relevant fields.
Experience and achievements
- Experience in website content management, including Wordpress and Drupal;
- Knowledgeable about web trends;
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge in writing, editing and publishing materials using multiple communication tools and tactics;
- Previous non-profit and/or communications experience.
Skills and qualities (professional, technical, managerial, practical)
- Excellent written and oral communication and analytical skills;
- Attention to detail and committed to producing high quality work;
- Effective team player with the ability to work and think independently, and to be resourceful and proactive;
- Ability to work independently and in a deadline-driven environment;
- Demonstrated interest in humanitarian work and/or international development;
- Passion for digital tools and its potential as an advocacy tool;
Experience in graphic design using programs under Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
English mother tongue, additional UN Languages an advantage.
The Web & Digital Communications Associate internship will be based in Geneva where JIPS is co-hosted by UNHCR and DRC. The contract will be facilitated by DRC on behalf of JIPS and will besubmitted to Swiss social charges and taxes
This is a temporary full-time contract from February till July 2018. The successful candidate must have a valid Swiss work permit.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.