Safety & Security Advisor - Nigeria
INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
1. Terms of Reference
Job Title: Safety & Security Advisor
Duty station: Nigeria, Maiduguri, with frequent field missions in all the LGAs where Intersos Nigeria has been active / will be active during the following months
Starting date: 01/02/2018
Contract duration: 2 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission and the HQ Security Referent
Supervision of:1 or 2 National Security Staff
2. General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled northeastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing more than 6 projects addressing critical gaps in health and nutrition, WASH, food security, shelter, Camp Coordination and Camp Management and protection services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki), Dikwa (Dikwa), Magumeri (Magumeri), Mobbar (Damasak), Monguno (Monguno) Local Government Area (LGA), Borno State, Nigeria.
3. General purpose of the position
S/He will be in charge of the Safety & Security related to the development, implementation and monitoring of an effective strategy to mitigate risk, maintain continuity of operations, and therefore secure the safety and security of all employees. The SSC will be the primary focal point for all safety & security related matters. S/He will be responsible for putting in place policies and standards related to the safety & security of the staff members, field facilities, assets, and program activities as well as ensuring that security protocols and mechanisms are in place to address country programs’ unique security challenges. S/He will provide technical support in developing and maintaining country programs’ context-specific field security plans.
4. Main responsibilities and tasks
- Serve as the primary focal point for safety & security in the following areas:
a. security/risk assessments;
b. scenario planning, security plan development;
c. crisis/contingency planning;
d. other security-related functions.
- Hiring and training national security focal points
- Develop and update security plans, business continuity plans, crisis management plans, and policies and procedures, in accordance with best practices and ensure their implementation;
- Provide advice and counsel to management on matters related to staff members and property safety & security;
- Investigate all safety, security and risk management related issues;
- Develop and facilitate security & safety training;
- Conduct training on needs assessment with key stakeholders resulting in increased safety, security and risk management capacity;
- Monitor security conditions, liaise and coordinate with external agencies (INSO) UN, NGO coordinating bodies, local governments, etc.
5. Required profile and experience
- Desirable university degree in a field relevant to security management in a humanitarian assistance context, and/or Political Sciences, International Relations, Sociology-Anthropology
- Specific courses, advanced training in Security Management
- Minimum 5 years of non-profit or NGO work experience in international humanitarian assistance programs
- Experience in Context Analysis
- Experience in preparing for short notice, clear analyses of security incidents, political events and their potential impact on operations
- Experience in peacekeeping settings will be considered an added advantage
- Experience in security plan development/contingency planning
- Proven practical knowledge of the regional context is an asset
- Previous experience in a coordination role in Security Operations in recent scenarios is an asset
- Risk management knowledge is an asset
- Remote control experience is an asset
- Experience in Security Management in INGOs is preferable
- Solid understanding of humanitarian principles, codes of conduct, experience in neutrality in local conflicts and conflicting parties
- Ability to quickly gain a comprehensive understanding of various local, regional, country and international factors that contribute to changes in security environments and risk levels
- Strong diplomatic capacities and negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work
- Ability to analyze the regional dimension of the Nigerian situation
- Ability to analyze and integrate information from a wide range of sources
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Proficient user of IT tools (MS Office package, internet, e-mail, etc.)
- Fluent in English compulsory, Italian is an asset
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS' platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org , with subject line: "SR-49-368 Safety & Security Advisor ".
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.