DATA ANALYSIS INTERN IN GENEVA
IMPACT / REACH
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian think tank, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative, which was created in 2010 to facilitate the development of information tools and products that enhance the capacity of aid actors to make evidence-based decisions in emergency, recovery and development contexts. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in research design; data collection, management and analysis; GIS and remote-sensing. For more information visit: www.impact-initiatives.org and www.reach-initiative.org.
We are currently looking for a Data Analysis Intern to join our IMPACT Initiatives team in Geneva, Switzerland.
Position: Data Analysis Intern
Supervisor: Data Analysis Officer
Duration: 6 months
Start date: ASAP
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Remuneration: 1050 CHF/month
The Data Analysis Intern will be part of the IMPACT Research department, under the supervision of the Data Analysis Officer. The Data Analysis Intern will be supporting processes and outputs related to data collection, cleaning, analysis, sharing and storing, ensuring transparency, accuracy, reproducibility, adequacy and interoperability at each stage of IMPACT / REACH Research Cycles.
Specifically, s/he will be supporting to ensure that data cleaning is conducted according to IMPACT/ REACH standards and that meaningful statistical analysis and techniques are used to infer results from the data collected. The Data Analysis Intern will support the implementation of data sharing standards used by IMPACT/REACH; ensuring accuracy, consistency, comparability and privacy of the data shared. S/he will also support the maintenance of a global database for the consolidation of all assessment-related and GIS data in country/region. S/he will support to ensure that data processing and analysis steps are fully documented and replicable.
1. Guidelines AND processes
The Data Analysis Intern supports to ensure guidelines and processes are in place to guide data collection, processing and analysis by IMPACT / REACH teams in countries of intervention. Specifically;
- Supporting the creation of guidelines for data processing, data analysis and data sharing.
- Supporting the creation of tools to facilitate the implementation of data processing, data analysis and data sharing guidelines both at HQ and field level.
- Advising IMPACT / REACH teams on how to implement guidelines, tools and processes.
2. Data processing
The Data Analysis Intern supports to ensure that the processing of data collected in countries of intervention meets IMPACT / REACH research standards. Specifically;
- Support to ensure that data is collected by IMPACT /REACH country teams in accordance with the research term of reference;
- During data collection, support to ensure that incoming data collected by country teams is monitored on a regular basis;
- After data collection, support to ensure that data cleaning implemented by country teams follows IMPACT /REACH research standards and guidelines;
- Support to ensure that all changes in the dataset are replicable and transparent through accurate logging according to IMPACT /REACH research standards.
3. Data analysis
The Data Analysis Intern supports to ensure that the data analysis produced by country teams is accurate and meets IMPACT / REACH minimum standards. Specifically;
- Support to ensure that meaningful statistical analysis and techniques are used to infer results on data collected;
- Support to ensure that qualitative data analysis and findings are traceable to collected data.
- Support in monitoring accuracy and adequacy of results produced, including of spatial data.
- Support to ensure that all data analysis steps are replicable and transparent through accurate logging according to IMPACT / REACH research standards.
Confidentiality, Data Protection, storage and sharing
The Data Analysis Intern will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. S/he will ensure all data are stored according to REACH / IMPACT data storage guidelines. S/he will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during assignment with IMPACT. When data is to be shared, the Data Analysis Intern will also support to ensure that data sharing standards are implemented; ensuring accuracy, consistency, comparability and privacy of the shared data.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
All IMPACT / REACH staff members are responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities and partners are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about IMPACT/ REACH programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every IMPACT / REACH staff member.
- Good academic qualifications, preferably a Master degree in relevant discipline (e.g. Data science, Statistics)
- Experience working with R software
- Experience with quantitative analysis.
- Attention to detail and commitment to producing high quality work
- Openness to feedback and willingness to learn.
- Ability to manage time effectively and work in a fast paced, results oriented working environment.
- Ability to work independently, with initiative, and strong capacity to work in intercultural team
- Experience with mobile data collection platforms, including xls coding.
- Experience with qualitative analysis, including relevant softwares such as NVivo, Atlas_ti, or similar.
- Experience with Python, SPSS, Stata or other softwares used for statistical analysis and programming
- Experience in assessments, monitoring & evaluations, especially in field research settings in an international context
- Familiarity with the humanitarian aid system