Requisition ID: req852
Job Title: Health Coordinator
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Location: Nigeria - Maiduguri
BACKGROUND The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In response to humanitarian needs resulting from the ongoing conflict in the country's northeastern states, the IRC currently operates in eight sectors (health, nutrition, WASH, protection/rule of law, child protection, women's protection and empowerment, education, and economic recovery and development) based out of six field offices in Northeast Nigeria.
SCOPE OF WORK The Health Coordinator is the focal point for health programs in Nigeria and ensures the implementation of quality primary healthcare programing in Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa states. The Health Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining regular contact with all partners, including the Ministry of Health, UN agencies and other NGOs, and will also be responsible for fulfilling IRC's strategic objectives for the health sector. The Health Coordinator supervises all health staff, and reports to the Senior Emergency Program Coordinator. The Health Coordinator will receive technical support from the regional Technical Advisor for Health Programs. The position is based in the IRC Maiduguri field office in Borno state with regular travel to supervise IRC's emergency health and health systems-strengthening programs throughout the northeast.
- Oversee the implementation of all emergency health and health systems-strengthening programs as well as operational research projects implemented by IRC Nigeria.
- Provide technical supervision and guidance of all IRC health projects. Extend technical support and supervision to subordinates and the IRC's implementing partners as the need arises.
- Ensure that health programs utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as outlined by the Federal Ministry of Health and WHO. Ensure that all health activities are consistent with established best practices.
- Promote the quality of the IRC's health programs by setting up quality assurance mechanisms and checks in collaboration with other staff and IRC's M&E Team.
- Ensure sound data collection and information management systems are in place for ongoing performance analysis and programmatic action based on data and identified needs.
- Participate in the design of robust M&E plans and design/adapt health information systems including surveillance systems for the IRC health programs in Nigeria.
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all health projects are met with strong monitoring and evaluation (M&E) followup, including any required operational research, with technical support from the Health Information Management team in the New York-based Health Unit and the regional Technical Advisor as needed.
- Provide technical support to the health team for program design, proposal development and reporting, ensuring that IRC programs are of high quality and that programs are driven by data and learning, working in conjunction with other colleagues in the IRC Nigeria program.
- Ensure all designed health projects use the relevant IRC theories of change and that interventions are evidence-driven.
- Update IRC Nigeria's health sector strategy according to prevailing needs and country priorities.
- Work with other IRC sector leads to actively integrate and improve quality of programs.
- Provide supportive supervison to the health team to develop work plans to guide implementation of approved grants. Support the field teams in the implementation and monitoring of the work plans ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC has made to donors and communities.
- Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for health programs on a monthly basis with staff and set course corrections as necessary.
- Ensure that periodic data reviews are conducted in coordination with M&E Managers and relevent technical advisors for course correction as needed.
- Participate in the development of staff development plans for health staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human resources department and contribute to the training of health staff (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings). Conduct performance evaluation of health staff in the field.
- Develop/organize training opportunities to build the capacity of the health staff and local partners in order to transfer skills. This includes staff training in program management areas such as reporting, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation, and supervision.
- Oversee the implementation of health sector priorities, ensuring that program growth is in line with country strategic plans.
- Review all reports prepared by the health staff and provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
REPRESENTATION AND ADVOCACY
- Serve as Co-lead for the Health Sector, working closely with the Ministry of Health and WHO.
- In coordination with the Senior Emergency Prorgram Coordinator, actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Nigeria including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations wherever possible.
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required.
- Assist in organizing donor site visits by supporting field staff in the smooth design and implementation of agendas and visit activities.
- Develop evidence-based advocacy points to be presented through the Health Sector, INGO Forum, Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) and Operational Humanitarian Country Team (OHCT).
- Health professional with an MPH or other suitable public health degree and experience.
- Five years experience in coordinating, implementing and managing health programs in developing countries. Experience working in Nigeria/West Africa a plus.
- Experience implementing health programming in insecure environments, hard-to-reach areas, and displaced communities.
- Experience implementing both emergency and development-oriented health programming.
- Experience integrating health programs with other sectors (nutrition, WASH, protection, etc).
- Demonstrated skills in project design/proposal development and grant management.
- Experience in capacity building and mentoring of national and international staff.
- Knowledge and experience in participatory design methods, community development and partnership.
- Background in situation analysis, health assessments, and program implementation.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills; ability to delegate responsibilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent coordination and networking skills.
- Willingness to travel extensively in Nigeria.
- Excellent written and oral English skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills and experience with programs such as: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and database management systems, including HMIS, DHIS, EPI-Info.
- Additional qualities: ability to be a good team player, ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, and adaptability to transitions.
SPECIFIC SECURITY SITUATION/HOUSING The Health Coordinator will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with travel throughout the country. The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security at phase 4 (red). The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position. The Health Coordinator will live in shared housing.
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2F0cmluYS5taWxsZXIuODExMjUuMzgzMEBpcmNjZC...