Senior Legal Expert, Denmark-Myanmar Programme on Rule of Law and Human Rights
The Denmark-Myanmar Programme on Rule of Law and Human Rights (2016-2020) supports the Union Attorney General’s Office, the Office of the Supreme Court of the Union, lawyers, CSOs as well as the law departments of Dagon and East Yangon Universities in strengthening capacities on core aspects of rule of law and human rights and supporting reform in relevant areas. The programme which has a total grant of DKK 70 million (approximately USD 10 million) is based on participatory approaches supporting partners to identify their own needs and priorities and taking lead in implementation of activities.
The governance of the programme is based on joint decision-making with partners through co-chaired Steering Committees. The programme is part of the Denmark-Myanmar Country Programme (2016-2020) endorsed by a bilateral government-to-government agreement between Myanmar and Denmark as well as MoUs with all key stakeholders. A Joint Venture comprised of the International Commission of Jurists (lead agency) and the Danish Institute for Human Rights has been contracted to provide technical assistance to the programme through a team of experts supporting implementation. It works in close dialogue with the Embassy of Denmark.
The Joint Venture (JV) is seeking a Senior Legal Expert to join the team supporting implementation of the Denmark-Myanmar Programme. The expert will be responsible for provision of technical support under the Civil Society and Lawyer’s Association outputs of the Programme, and work on other aspects of the programme as relevant, while ensuring the implementation of agreed work plans under the Denmark-Myanmar Programme. S/he will be part of a team of 13 international and local experts and programme management staff who work closely together on programme implementation.
The position will be contracted by the International Commission of Jurists.
The ideal candidate will have experience working on Justice Sector, Rule of Law, and/or Human Rights programmes in developing country contexts, as well as experience with capacity and organizational development. The position is based in Yangon, and the successful candidate will be expected to travel regularly to deliver and support activities with partners.
The Senior Legal Expert has the following responsibilities:
· Provide technical advice and support to Civil Society Organizations, lawyers and lawyers’ associations on human rights related issues as well as organizational development, and ensure the timely implementation of agreed annual work plans.
· Supervise 2-3 national legal experts in the JV team.
· Build and/or strengthen relationships with partners in order to be able to successfully provide technical advice.
· Assist programme partners in developing annual work plans and budgets based on their identified needs and priorities, and support the JV’s secretarial functions in hosting bi-annual Steering Committees.
· Liaise closely with the Embassy of Denmark on implementation of the programme on a regular basis, as one of the technical experts under the Joint Venture’s contract with the Embassy.
· Ensure quality programming with appropriate monitoring and evaluation in order to evidence results in accordance with the results framework.
· Keep abreast of emerging trends and issues related to political development and the justice sector in Myanmar, which may have implications for the programme and its implementation.
· Coordinate with other justice sector actors and programmes as necessary.
· Ensure a joined-up approach between the different programme outputs.
· Look for synergies and opportunities to link different programme outputs through the life of the programme.
· Ensure an innovative approach to capacity building, which drives evidenced-based results.
· Engage in appropriate advocacy and communications’ initiatives to support the visibility and implementation of the programme.
· Help promote a programme, which remains responsive to the evolving and dynamic political and legal context in Myanmar.
The successful candidate will have:
Education & Experience
· Relevant university degree, preferably a Post-Graduate degree in law or a related field.
· Preferably at least five years of relevant professional experience in the legal sector, e.g. as a practicing lawyer.
· Preferably at least two years of relevant experience from justice sector / rule of law / human rights support programmes in developing country contexts (requirement).
· Experience with the planning and implementation of training and capacity development for lawyers and CSOs on human rights in a developing country context, including strategic human rights litigation, human rights monitoring, documentation and advocacy.
· Familiarity with legal reform needs in transition countries and/or in developing countries, legal sector institutions, legislative processes etc.
· Experience with programme management and implementation, including results-based programming, preparation of work plans, reporting and monitoring and evaluation.
· Relevant experience from Asia, in particular Myanmar, is a distinct advantage.
· Relationship building skills
· Political judgment and the proven ability to carry out innovative legal work
· Proven communication and listening skills
· Excellent English language skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multi-cultural team
· Openness and flexibility, capacity to adapt to changing priorities and needs
· Willingness to travel regularly
The contract is based on a policy of equal opportunities and offers a competitive salary package.
APPLICATIONS close on December 29, 2017 and should be addressed with a cover letter, resume, writing sample and names of at least 2 references to:
Ref: Senior Legal Expert, Myanmar
By email: email@example.com
Please appreciate that due to the volume of applications only short listed candidates will be contacted. We cannot answer phone enquiries. We thank you for your understanding.