The American Red Cross (ARC) International Services Department (ISD) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. The American Red Cross continues to deepen and expand its international programming while also working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent Network, in order to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world.
At the American Red Cross, we believe in the power of working together to save a life. We also care as deeply for our co-workers, customers and donors as we do for those who need us the most. We believe that the work we do every day MATTERS. We are friendly, caring, calm and professional at all times. We are movers and shakers who take responsibility to get things done. Does this sound like you? Then come join us!
In response to Typhoon Haiyan (locally known as Yolanda), which made landfall on November 8th 2013, the American Red Cross (ARC) is seeking an experienced Country Representative to develop and carry out the objectives of the American Red Cross’ relief, recovery and mitigation framework in the Philippines, and manage the ARC delegation in country. ARC works in the following programme areas: disaster management; sheltering; water and sanitation; livelihoods; community-based health & disease prevention; as well as on the, monitoring of programs funded by ARC but implemented by Red Cross and non-Red Cross partners.
The Country Representative is responsible for representing ARC at the senior level with Red Cross Movement and non-Movement partners; international organizations; government entities; the media; and, other coordinating bodies. It is the Country Representative's responsibility to ensure that managerial, administrative, and financial procedures comply with provisions of the ARC and Red Cross Movement policies. This position will be based in Manila, Philippines and will be required to travel up to 50%.
This is a full time position for a minimum of 366 days with the possibility of extension. This is an accompanied post.**
The Country Representative is accountable, under the direction and guidance of the Asia, Middle East & Europe Regional Director, for representing the American Red Cross and managing and implementing ARC’s operational responsibilities and cooperation activities in the Philippines. The Country Representative will be expected to employ a high degree level of initiative to achieve objectives within Philippines.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop a strategic plan with program staff for the ARC short and medium term recovery program in country.
- Subsequently oversee and ensure the successful implementation of the resulting approved plans and budgets; in addition to all relevant regulations and policies, particularly those associated with activities/programs funded by the American Red Cross but implemented by Red Cross and non-Red Cross partners.
- Coordinate the in-country efforts of the American Red Cross, connecting the actions and initiatives of all ARC employees supporting efforts in the Philippines.
- Manage the delegation, including personnel, security, fixed assets, financial assets and other resources in accordance with ARC procedures and regulations.
- Analyze social, political, and economic trends that may affect the delegation’s strategic plan and/or efforts in country, and make changes as required.
- Promote the institutional and program development of the operating national Red Cross society (the Philippines Red Cross) through a supportive working relationship.
- Ensure that delegation planning, budgeting and reporting is carried out in a timely and appropriate fashion in accordance with ARC requirements, formats and standards; provide support to the National Society in these areas when relevant.
- Represent ARC and build good relations with national authorities, Movement partners, international and national organizations, donor Governments and other organizations represented in the country/region, as well as national and international media.
- Take initiatives to raise funds in the country of assignment in support of ARC appeals and activities, and for National Society programs, in close coordination with NHQ and with the National Society.
- Ensure efficient and effective management of ARC resources in all areas.
- Ensure compliance with ARC and International Federation policies, procedures and processes in the area of operation.
- Supervise and provide support to all staff in the Philippines, and ensure standard operation procedures are socialized and adhered to.
- Bachelors degree in business, management, public administration or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years relevant experience, one year supervisory experience, and three years overseas experience – preferably in the post-disaster context - as a senior field representative or chief of party for a large donor agency, international NGO, and /or Red Cross entity required.
- Proven track record of effective program and staff management experience in a post-disaster environment, including experience in: project design and implementation; financial management; and reporting.
- Familiarity with the Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement strongly preferred.
- The position calls for excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and achieve results through collaborative efforts.
- Candidate must be flexible and adaptive to change.
- Computer proficiency required, especially in MS Office.