Position: Finance Manager
Dates: 1st February 2018 (or earlier)
Hours: 16 hours (part time)
Remuneration: Based on 36,263 EUR pro rata per annum
Contract: Fixed term employee, renewable
1. Main purpose of the role
To manage finances for PBI’s International Secretariat and to consolidate and present finance reporting for the global organisation.
2. Position in the organisation
This is a fixed term employment contract for 24 months, renewable subject to review. The person will be formally accountable to PBI’s International Council (IC), will be line managed by the Governance Manager, and work closely with the Finance Working Group and the other International Office staff.
3. Place of work
The person will be based in Brussels where the International Office will be located from 2018.
4. Organisation overview
PBI is a non-governmental organisation, registered in the USA, which protects human rights and promotes nonviolent conflict transformation. We provide protection, capacity building and other support for threatened organisations, defenders and communities pursuing social justice and defence of human rights in areas of violent conflict. Our current field projects are in Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Kenya, Indonesia, Mexico and Nepal.
PBI project work is supported by a network of 13 country groups in Europe, North America and Australia, who carry out volunteer recruitment, advocacy and fundraising, and by the international coordinating office.
PBI uses a non-hierarchical model of organising and decisions are made by consensus. The General Assembly, which convenes every three years, is PBI’s highest decision-making body. In between, governance and operations are the responsibility of the international councils. The international councils, committees and working groups, together with the International Office constitute the International Secretariat (ISEC).
The International Office is being moved from London to Brussels in order to strengthen PBI’s presence and profile and build key partnerships with policymakers, INGOs, donors and other key external stakeholders in Europe.
Other IO staff will comprise a Governance Manager, International Coordinator, Grants Manager and Administrator.
Under the supervision of the Governance Manager, the key tasks of the Finance Manager will include the following:
To develop and maintain the highest level of financial accountability across the organisation
- Consolidate and produce annual audited global accounts (UK and Belgium) and complete all global external reports to the IRS (USA)
- Coordinate the annual global budget planning and approval process; consolidate and produce regular internal management accounts reporting on the global budget and including cash flow projections
- Manage the finances of the International Secretariat
- Review, update and ensure compliance with the PBI Financial SOP
- Prepare annual financial strategy and work plan
To provide management for the contracted International Office Bookkeeper
- Provide on-going oversight and support
- University degree in relevant subject
- Professional qualification in finance, accounting or equivalent professional experience
- A senior role in an international NGO with demonstrable results
- Consensus decision-making
- Managing staff and volunteers
- Financial management and accounting best practice in an international and multi-currency setting
- Commitment to and understanding of PBI’s principles, mission and objectives
- Proficient in basic office IT skills (Excel, Word, Outlook & open source equivalents)
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Self-motivating and able to work under own initiative
- Ability to solve problems and achieve results with limited resources
- Ability to collate and summarise large amounts of data
- Excellent attention to detail for language and reviewing budgets
- Excellent numeracy, written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to persuasively communicate technical subjects to non-technical audiences and non-native speakers
- Fluency in English and a working knowledge of Spanish
- Demonstrated ability to work within a multi-cultural office environment and a complex, decentralised multi-cultural organisation
- Ability to build effective relationships with colleagues
- Proficiency in Spanish is an advantage
PBI values diversity and has a strong commitment to equality of opportunity. All applicants will be treated on equal terms, without discrimination on any grounds, and especially for reasons of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or physical disability.
This position is based in Brussels, Belgium. Before appointment the successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the European Union.
Application procedure Applicants should complete the application form found in our website and send it to Jacqueline Nightingale at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Application for Finance Manager" in the subject of the email.
The selection process is as follows:
Deadline for applications: 11th December at 9am (GMT)
Interviews: To be confirmed
Start date: 1st February 2018
Please note that we are unable to respond to applicants who have not been shortlisted for interview.