Associate Scientist - Agronomy
Main purpose of the position
The Agronomist will conduct and support the Center’s field agronomic research program and provide assistance in adapting conservation agriculture for smallholder cereal and grain legume production systems in dry regions in times of climate change. The position is part of a multidisciplinary team for evaluating and developing dryland cereals and food legumes for heat and drought tolerance, input use efficiency and assessing selected legume lines and rhizobium strains for symbiotic nitrogen fixation in West Asia and North Africa (WANA).
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
· Develop, monitor, and evaluate research trials on cereals and food legumes as well as other potential rotation crops in WANA and India, especial with regard to resource-use efficiency, in conjunction with NARS partners.
· Evaluate rhizobia species in food legumes and identify superior strains for use in production of inoculants and agronomic practices for higher nitrogen fixation.
· Identify, verify, and implement modern agronomy methodologies and approaches for cereal and grain legume production that could be adaptable to smallholder farmers.
· Develop strategies for weed control, including parasitic weeds, and integrated nutrient management for profitable crop production while conserving natural resource base and protecting the environment.
· Conduct research on dryland agronomy to increase and sustain crop yields and systems productivity, with special emphasis on conservation agriculture, crop diversification, and integrated crop management practices. Undertake integrated systems research on rainfed wheat-legume-livestock production systems as means of intensifying and increasing farm gate outputs.
· Participate in training activities in cooperation with other programs in ICARDA, NARS partners, and advance research institutions.
· Publish in ISI refereed journals with focus on conservation agriculture and intensification of cereal-legume production systems.
· Represent ICARDA in regional and international fora.
Education, qualifications and experience
· A PhD degree in agronomy, soils, crops, or related field.
· 3 year Post-Doctoral work experience on agronomy and related research in National or International agricultural centers or organizations outside their home country.
· Demonstrated practical experience in cropping systems research and especially in conservation agriculture based agronomic practices.
· Capacity to plan, design and implement field scale research and demonstration program
· Computer skills, with an understanding of statistical design and analysis of field research trials
· Experience with farm machinery, soil fertility, weed management, crop simulation modelling, and/or crop-livestock interactions would be an asset.
· Fluency in spoken and written English. Additional languages that would be an advantage are French and/or Arabic.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The initial contract will be for 3 years, of which the first year will be probationary period. The contract is renewable, subject to satisfactory performance, the availability of funds and continued need for the position.
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by 15 December 2017