Manager, Media Relations and Disaster Communications
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is currently seeking a talented individual for the role of a Manager, Media Relations and Disaster Communications. Reporting to the Director of Communications, Asia-Pacific, the Media Relations and Disaster Communications Manager will manage and coordinate media engagement activities in the region to deliver on communications objectives that build brand equity and reputation, and awareness of shelter issues and Habitat for Humanity's work.
He/she will act as the communications point of contact and lead for communications planning and implementation before/during/after disasters. This position will be based in Manila, Philippines.
Asia Pacific (AP) Regional Media Relations (30%)
- Under the direction of the AP Communications Director, devise and manage, all Asia-Pacific media relations plans or outreach, in accordance with HFHI and Area Office strategic objectives. This includes securing media opportunities for op-eds, articles and interviews and coverage; maintaining contact with regional journalists to pitch stories, interviews and ideas; drafting and/or facilitating creation of media materials; writing speeches; devising and implementing media campaigns for AP focus programs, special events, major initiatives and reports.
- Serve as a media liaison or alternative spokesperson, if needed, for official HFHI AP response to queries and requests from journalists.
- Manage media relations activities to protect Habitat for Humanity’s reputation in the event of crisis.
National Office (NO) Media Relations (20%)
- Support and provide counsel for NO media activities, (e.g. special events, milestones, and issues and crisis communications).
- Increase the capacity of NO communications colleagues to handle media relations, through coaching and training.
Disaster Communications (50%)
- Lead on disaster communications – Be the communications team’s focal point for internal/external communications before/during/after disasters; ensure effective sharing of information across the Habitat and external networks through regular updates on Disaster Response (DR) program progress and up-to-date materials for the duration of project.
- Manage the creation of template DR materials and externally focused communications; work with HQ, Area Office (AO) and National Office (NO) Disaster Risk Reduction Response (DR3) teams in ensuring distribution of such materials.
- Oversee content management of a regional disaster response portal (internal website) that is used by multiple users (HQ, AO and NO staff); coordinate with the AP DR3 team and NO communications teams for effective and timely content updates on the AP disaster response portal.
- As needed, travel to disaster-hit locations as part of a rapid assessment team and Habitat for Humanity's disaster response project sits to gather information for awareness-raising purposes.
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in related field.
- 5+ years of experience in communications role.
- Experience working with media.
- Experience working in disaster situations.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills.
- Strong organizational and presentation skills.
- Willingness to communicate and affirm the Christian principles of HFHI.
- Ability to work and live in cross-cultural settings.
- Excellent training and mentoring skills.
- Knowledge of other Asian languages.
Beneficial but not required:
- Knowledge of UN cluster approach.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY, PLEASE BE SURE TO SEND RESUME/CV TO : AP_MYHR@HABITAT.ORG