Media and Communications Manager
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. In collaboration with more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
Main function: Ensure timely and clear communication of Transparency International’s positions and messaging to external and internal audiences.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: Until 31 August 2018 (parental leave cover), with the possibility of extension
Location: TI-Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin, Germany
Team: External Stakeholders Engagement (ESE)
Job grade: IV
- Ensure timely and clear communication of Transparency International’s positions and messaging to external and internal audiences
- Develop communications strategies and media relations for global and regional/programmatic work within the framework of the TI Strategy 2020
- Participate in the editorial committee by reviewing major TI publications
- Plan launches of TI global indices and other major publications
- Identify opportunities to convey TI’s messages and impact to new and existing audiences, including through social media and mini campaigns
- Produce editorial content for media and the TI website, such as press releases, web features, blog posts, opinion pieces
- Protect the TI brand by applying requisite professional and necessary standards in design, tone and method of communications
- Support and fully engage in the exchange of communications expertise across TI-S and/or the TI Movement, including providing training for staff and national chapters to improve communications capacities
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- University degree in communications, political science, literature, journalism, international affairs or other relevant fields
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in communications in an international or media organisation
- Demonstrated experience in media relations, publication launches and training essential
- Advanced ability to communicate using social media, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and integrate social media into advocacy planning
- Knowledge and experience of developing advocacy and public campaigns desired
- Knowledge of the US media market an asset
- Excellent communications skills in English (to native speaker standard) required; additional languages, in particular French and/or Spanish, an asset
- Excellent writing and editing skills essential
- Strong organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated flexibility, initiative and creativity
- High level of intercultural competence, diplomacy and political sensitivity
- Knowledge of and considerable interest in corruption, governance and development issues and international affairs
Other information about the post and the location:
Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities and support. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
To learn more about Transparency International, visit our website at www.transparency.org
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter (mentioning the origin of the application, RELIEFWEB) and CV in English (in one pdf-file) to:
Deadline for applications is Sunday, 22 October 2017.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Transparency International is an equal opportunity employer.