Nigeria : Country Logistic Officer - Maiduguri
Duration 6 months
Starting date: ASAP
Background on ACTED
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last kilometer: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. ACTED develops and implements programs that target the most vulnerable amongst populations that have suffered from conflict, natural disaster, or socio-economic hardship. ACTED’s approach looks beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihoods reconstruction and sustainable development.
With a budget of 190 million EUR in 2015, ACTED is active in 35 countries and implements more than 495 projects a year reaching over11 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
Number of projects: 4
Number of areas: 1
Number of national staff: 32
Number of international staff: 7
ACTED has opened a mission in Nigeria in early 2017 as a response to the large-scale displacements caused by conflict in north eastern Nigeria. With its base in Maiduguri ACTED is currently responding in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa State in the sectors of shelter, CCCM, information management and logistics support.
The conflict in north eastern Borno provides extreme access challenges with many locations only accessible via helicopter for humanitarian partners seeking to support people in conflict affected LGAs (Local government areas).
ACTED is seeking an experienced Country Logistics officer who will be in charge of the management of two Logistics Hubs equipped with Mobile Storage Units (MSUs) in remote LGAs in Borno State.
Manage all aspects of the warehouse operation, with safety of employees and efficiency of the operation being the priority.
The candidate must be willing to travel extensively between Maiduguri and field locations.
S/he will ensure establishment, implementation and oversight of Logistics Common storage services in two locations in Borno State;
S/he coordinates the construction of two common storage sites in close coordination with relevant stakeholders;
S/he ensures that the storage sites are in line with partner needs and the sites are in line with ACTED’s security and safety regulations;
S/he conducts regular inventories and provides these to partners;
S/he plans and supervises the dispatch of goods to partners;
S/he trains a team of Logistics staff in best practices regarding handling of goods, reception of goods and dispatch;
S/he coordinates with partners and keeps the Logistics sector updated on a regular basis about operational bottlenecks and challenges.
• Oversee and facilitate the work of Logistcis Officers, storekeepers and daily workers under his / her supervision,
• Accurately review attendance sheets for daily workers under his / her supervision,
• Ensure the appropriate filling of movements documents
• Coordinate and ensure the accurate records of warehouse movements. Maintain accurate paper records in accordance with the ACTED FLATS manual,
• Assess the strengths, weaknesses and improvement opportunity of the warehouse operation and propose corrective actions and implementation plan to management.
• Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, cost and management reporting and internal compliance systems are functioning;
• Ensure that stock is kept in a secure, clean and orderly environment, following the best safety and handling policies available;
• Guarantee the duly physical reception and issuing of stock including assistance with loading / unloading, stock inspection and the appropriate quantity of daily workers according to ACTED policies
• Review and complete all stock management documents including waybills, reception voucher, stock cards and logbooks;
• Organize physical inventories and facilitate logistics internal audit missions;
• Review and ensure implementation of the warehouse load schedule, ensuring the appropriate coordination with external partners;
• Prepare monthly/weekly and on demand stocks and logistics movement reports.
• Ensures appropriate application of policies and systems to ensure efficiency and safe of the warehouse operations.
• Monitor the quality of supplies stored and carry out regularly physical quality checks.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date inventory records and ensure that inventory reports are immediately available for external partners as required. Notify any capacity or inventory problems on a timely matter.
• Prepare warehouse activity reports focused on efficiency and ensure the appropriate application of KPIs;
• Be accountable to the external partners for both quality and quantity of output
• Supervise the set up of two storage locations
• Conduct physical assessments of the warehouse based on ACTED own checklist including facilities, equipment, safety and security.
• Monitor and assess the availability of space and supervise the stacking in order to maximize the usage of the premise;
• Develop and implement material-handling procedures according to the best practices;
• Ensure the maintenance of all handling equipment, structures and other equipment;
- Required qualifications and technical competencies
- Postgraduate diploma in International Development and (or) relevant Master’s level degree
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Strong writing abilities and analytical skills
- Skills in political sciences or international relations
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure
- Previous experience in the humanitarian field, proposals development, and donor relations are required
- Previous experience abroad is required
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance
- Free food and lodging provided at the organization’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length
- and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance
Please send your application including cover letter, CV and references to email@example.com under Ref: CLO/NIA