Programme Officer (Migration and Development)
Call for Applications
Position Title : Programme Officer (Migration and Development)
Duty Station : Rabat, Morocco
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 September 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Chief of Mission of IOM Morocco and overall supervision of the Senior Migration and Development Specialist in the Department of Migration Management at IOM Headquarters, the Programme Officer will work in close coordination with the Delegate Ministry in Charge of Moroccans Living Abroad and Migration Affairs to provide analytical, conceptual and programmatic support to Morocco as the co-Chair of the GFMD (2017-2018).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop, direct, manage, and implement the activities aimed at enhancing capacities of the Moroccan government towards global multilateral processes in accordance with the project documents, IOM standards and procedures as well as donor requirements/standards.
Identify priority thematic areas for the GFMD in Morocco, jointly with the Moroccan government, LHD IOM HQ and M&D IOM Morocco team.
Contribute to the conception of background papers, concept note, etc. of the GFMD thematic workshops organised by Morocco.
Provide guidance, support, and monitoring to the national partners working with IOM under the Global Joint Programme Mainstreaming Migration into National Development Strategies- transition phase.
Ensure close coordination and communication with LHD IOM HQ staff and keep them updated on the key project progress, challenges faced, changing operating environments and new opportunities.
Promote and ensure coordination with and involvement of national and local stakeholders through whole-of-society approach to increase their ownership and sustainability on the project results. Identify potential and innovative entry points for expanded strategic and technical collaboration with these stakeholders.
Monitor financial record expenditures of the activities implemented through the mission to ensure consistent management and adequate burn rate to meet implementation milestones and deadlines.
Develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation system and produce periodic monitoring reports; identify operational challenges and viable solutions.
Prepare or ensure timely preparation and submissions of all project/programme reports according to IOM and donor formats as required. Prepare regular updates, programme summaries, press releases and other relevant materials.
Locate and analyse specific migration and development related data, and prepare analyses relevant to the project needs. Identify new project opportunities, and describe and justify project possibilities consistent with approved programme and ongoing activities. Renew country and/or regional activities and recommend programme improvements.
Keep abreast of policies, international standards and best practices relating to migration governance and migration and development for further enhancing the programme.
Guide staff working under relevant projects and establish the necessary staffing strength and profiles relevant to the implementation of the activities under the Mainstreaming Migration into National Development Strategies- transition phase.
Monitor and be responsible for the administration of the Project budget and financial status of and propose corrective measures in coordination with the mission’s Resource Management Officer (RMO) and CoM, as well as relevant units at the RO; and ensure timely and accurate reporting to LHD IOM HQ.
Represent IOM at relevant seminars and meetings, as well as other events aimed at promoting IOM’s image and activities.
Facilitate close collaboration with IOM Morocco other Programme Units to integrate and mainstream migration and development issues into project proposals, tools and strategies where relevant and possible.
Undertake duty travel relating to project/programme assessment, liaison with counterparts, problem-solving, and new project/programme development, as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Development Studies, Political or Social Sciences, Migration Studies, International Relations and or Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working on migration and development, international cooperation issues, developing policy papers and policy-oriented dialogues;
• Solid knowledge on global processes and policies required. Excellent in developing papers, policy-oriented dialogues and capable to give technical guidance;
• Sound and proven knowledge in the thematic area of migration and development;
including knowledge of global processes, approaches, policy and practice in national and international contexts;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Excellent drafting, communication, negotiation and public speaking skills; solid diplomatic skills;
• Experience in project development, implementation, and evaluation, and/or programme implementation and management;
• Demonstrated ability to supervise, train and motivate staff in a multicultural team environment;
• Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
Fluency in English and French language is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 September 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 14.09.2017 to 27.09.2017
Requisition: CFA 2017/33(P)- Programme Officer (Migration and Development)(UG)-Rabat,Morocco
Posting: Posting NC55144749 (55144749) Released