The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) is engaged in a five-year Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-Kenya (CDC-Kenya) to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and its partners for conducting HIV and STI surveillance and survey activities, as well as program monitoring and evaluation. We are recruiting an individual through our affiliated international NGO Global Programs for Research & Training (Global Programs) to serve as Data Manager. This position requires a one-year commitment, with the potential for extension at the end of the period, subject to funding availability.
Under the supervision of the Medical Epidemiologist the Data Manager will work with the Global Programs team to:
• Participate in planning, designing and implementation of surveillance and M&E projects.
• Participate in the design of survey and program databases.
• Participate and/or lead preparation of data analysis plans.
• Lead monitoring of ongoing data collection and storage of data for GP activities
• Lead the cleaning and preparation of datasets from surveys and program data
• Collaborate on the analysis of data for assigned projects.
• Work closely with statisticians in supporting data-related activities for all programs
• Provide support the development of training materials for biostatistics, data analysis and utilization of statistical software for analysis.
• Participate in provision of training to MOH and its partners in biostatistics, data management, data analysis, utilization of software and interpretation of analysis.
• A Master’s degree in statistics/biostatistics, computer science/IT studies, or related field with five years of relevant working experience is required, or a bachelor’s degree with eight years of progressive professional experience.
• Minimum of five years of experience working in public health, epidemiology, M&E, or related field is required.
• Minimum of three years continuous working experience with survey and surveillance data.
• Proficiency in at least one software package (e.g. SAS/STATA/R) for data management and analysis.
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
• Fluency in English is required.
OTHER DESIRED SKILLS:
· In-depth, comprehensive, and evolving knowledge of statistical and mathematical analysis techniques integrated with computer applications.
· Management of large survey and/or research studies data sets.
· Ability to prioritize, work tight under deadlines, work with minimal supervision and multitask.
· Ability to effectively communicate data management related matters to colleagues and external stakeholders.
Qualified Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed in the minimum requirements above with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. All applications must include the following:
· Cover letter
· Current CV with names and telephone numbers for three referees
· Copies of academic and professional certificates
· Salary history
Applications must be sent by email to HR.Kenya@ucglobalprograms.org with the email subject, Data Manager by Wednesday, September 27, 2017.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. leu