The post is to be based in Sittwe and opened to International candidates and advertised globally.
Oxfam is a leading International NGO with a worldwide reputation for excellence and over 70 years of experience. It’s not unfortunate that people live in poverty. With enough wealth in this world to go around it’s unjustifiable. It’s not just their problem. It’s ours too. Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change lives around the world, and with the right support, we can beat poverty and injustice. Thousands of people already commit their time and talents to our campaigning, humanitarian and long-term development projects. Now we’re looking for yours.
The role: To co-lead the Oxfam team in the implementation of the Sittwe Humanitarian WASH programme across 12 sites (camps and villages)
To mentor and support national Programme Manager with the vision of handing over operational management after 12 months
To ensure quality compliance with donor and Oxfam internal requirements
This position will be part of the team leading the implementation of a multi-year programme providing high quality WASH services to more than 80,000 IDPs living in displacement camps in Sittwe, Rakhine State. Oxfam works in partnership with Solidarites International (SI) in this programme, and in close collaboration with Camp Management Agencies and other WASH actors. Whilst the context is humanitarian, people have been living in IDP camps for five years – and the overall approach of this programme is to transition to community development approaches promoting strong community engagement and community ownership of facilities and services within the IDP camps. This requires a strong focus on the upgrading of WASH infrastructure during the first nine months, with a transition to community ownership and management of the infrastructure following the upgrades. Many transitional strategies are to be developed and implemented across the camps, with a view to transition of services to external agencies (government or private sector), an increase in market based approaches, greater investment in community mobilisation, accountability, protection, and suitable approaches to hygiene promotion.
Level: International, C1
Employment term: Fixed-Term (1 year)
Report to: Consortium Manager (Sittwe Humanitarian WASH Programme) and matrixed managed by Humanitarian Programme Manager
Staffs reporting to this post: Programme Manager
What we offer: Respectful and empowered working environment, Life insurance, Medical+ dental + optical benefits, Competitive salary and Career advancement opportunities, Generous leave entitlement
Management of Oxfam Humanitarian WASH Programme
· Overall management of the programme, ensure that the programme is implemented as planned, in compliance with donor contractual obligations
· Monitor programme budget, revising as necessary and advising senior management of variance and/or deficits
· Ensure ongoing relevance of the programme, adapting intervention approach/content associated with changes in the context;
· Monitor and evaluate programme work to maintain and/or improve the quality, incorporating learning in the programme and ensuring achievement of desired impact.
· Lead on and facilitate, where appropriate, regular learning events for Oxfam’s humanitarian team in Sittwe
· Ensuring timely and quality programme reports to Oxfam, and other stakeholders as appropriate.
Build Effective programme team
· Provide capacity building and mentoring to National Programme Manager to ensure they are equipped to take over full operational management of Oxfam team and programme during twelve months.
· Recruit and manage staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as required.
· Ensure that a capacity-building plan is in place and being monitored for all staff
Representation, Networking and Communications:
· Together with National Programme Manager lead on ongoing coordination with relevant organisations, particularly with Government Departments, UN, INGOs, local communities in Rakhine and provide necessary information to support external representation of the programme at Yangon level.
· Establish and maintain strong relationships, and regular communication with multiple project stakeholders including Camp Management Agencies; Rakhine level Coordination, Cluster Leads; consortium partners; donor representatives etc..
· Provide regular programme updates and early alerts to HPM to respond to potential issues in time.
Humanitarian Programme Quality and Learning
· Ensure that Oxfam’s programme adheres to and promotes internal and international humanitarian standards, procedures and guidelines
· Ensure that gender equality and women’s leadership is a central part of Oxfam’s programme.
· Identify good practices in Oxfam’s humanitarian programming and ensure to capture learning / lessons learned.
· Be an active member of Oxfam’s team; participate in appropriate staff meetings and planning sessions;
· Implement the Oxfam performance management system with direct reports, ensuring clear work objectives and completed end of deployment reviews and develop the performance management system where possible within the programme.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
· More than five years proven experience of managing Humanitarian or Development programmes
· High level people management and leadership skills
· Ability to prioritise, problem-solved and meet agreed deadlines
· Ability to embed systematic, high quality programme monitoring, learning, and coordination
· Strong report writing, and presentation skills, including the ability to present complex issues clearly and concisely to a broad range of audiences
· Demonstrated facilitation, coaching and mentoring skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate in English clearly both verbally and in writing and with all levels of staff
· Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural context
· Working knowledge of Do No Harm approaches and at least basic knowledge of conflict sensitive approaches
· Ability to represent Oxfam externally, with international and national actors
· Familiarity with advocacy work at local and national level
· Willingness to work at flexible hours
· Experience working in politically sensitive, conflict affected locations
· Ability to work effectively independently with minimal support
· Technical expertise in WASH, or community engagement – with proven ability to embed women’s rights into all programmes.
Please state applied position in email subject line and send to
Human Resources Department through firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxfam office, No. 34, Corner of Aung Taw Mu Street and Golden Hill Avenue Street, Golden Valley Ward 2, Bahan Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
Phone: +95 (0)1 539986, 539987, 539958, 539189 and 504918
Detail and complete job profile is available upon request.
We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.