Consutancy - Senior LMS (full-stack) Developer
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Dimensions of Role:
Plan International is embarking on a monumental challenge to integrated technology into the heart of its work in youth employment. Plan commissioned Accenture Development Partners on two separate occasions to identify key areas where Plan could enhance the quality and reach of its programming. In both instances, ICT4Vocational Educational was identified as critical to the organization’s goal. In order to realize the organization’s goal of quality scalable initiatives for youth employment it has also become apparent that Plan must also invest in its human capital assets of this goal is to be realized. The position is responsible for strengthening current YES! Academy platform and enhance it to provide quality and scalable life-long learning opportunities.
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
Plan ARO (Asia Regional Office) is seeking to hire an expert full-stack developer/programmer, with a clear understanding of LMS, educational technology and other CMS, for a period of 6 months (with possibility of an extension) to oversee the implementation of mainly LMS and various other initiatives currently in development. This person would report directly to the Regional Digital Development Manager in ARO with reporting lines to the Regional Digital Development Officer.
YES! Academy is developed with the three principals of Learn, Share and Connect, to enable these principles effectively, currently YES! Academy is an integration of Moodle and Drupal. At the moment, YES! Academy is piloted in 5 Plan International country offices for the delivery of educational instruction to youth. YES! Academy will be launched in numerous countries in Asia and other regions such as Latin America to start with.
This position is primarily responsible for 3 main tasks;
- System check and evaluate current YES! Academy Platform, producing a detailed report and recommendations as way forward to maximize and strengthen YES! Academy platform.
- Carry out and materialize recommendations.
- Complete further additions to YES! Academy.
Dealing with Problems:
The job holder needs to translate understanding of ICT solutions into programmatic tools that enable Plan to implement quality programming. This position requires a significant and clear understanding of the current LMS structure and overall IT landscape of the other components (YES! Digital Ecosystem), ability to effectively communicate with Digital Development team, other Plan staff and outside vendors (if required) and negotiate.
Communications and Working Relationships:
Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Have high level contact with COs (Country Offices) to facilitate development and implementation of LMS and other ICT solutions
- Works directly with Digital Development Team and YES team.
- Works closely with the Regional Digital Development Officer and Regional Youth Employment Advisor.
- Liaise with CO ICT and project managers of especially communication to build capacities in support functions and for deployment.
- Liaise and provide technical support to COs, ICT and NO (National Office) colleagues.
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviors, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Gained through education, training, & experience
Skills Specific to the Post
- Energetic and motivated individual, with a proven track record of undertaking similar assignments successfully.
- Ability to work remotely and in a virtual environment.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders at different level in a virtual environment.
- Ability to think strategically, but also result oriented and get things done.
- Commitment to continuous learning and willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field.
- Able to work independently, but to function within a virtual team.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and sustain good working relations with colleagues.
- Strong negotiation, facilitating, representation and influencing skills.
- Culturally and socially sensitive, and able to work successfully with partners and sector professionals.
- Leads implementation and design work
- Promotes innovation and learning
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Strong team building and motivational skills
- Critical and creative thinking
- Ability to influence
- Results oriented
- Good interpersonal skills
Qualifications and Experience
- Documented experience from at least 5 years of programming/development background and minimum 3 years of direct LMS development experience.
- Experience working with Human/User Centered Design and Agile Development
- Ability to priorities and manage complex and varied workload, often to tight deadlines.
- Strong track record for delivery results and meeting deadlines. (Ability demonstrate a portfolio with evidence of functional projects)
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal in order to present arguments clearly and powerfully to a variety of audiences;
- Experience of promoting coordination and cooperation with other individuals/organizations through networking and alliance building.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Leading the full software development lifecycle of LMS.
- Hands on design, development and debugging of systems.
- Delivery within agile environments using Agile methodologies.
- Partnering with product owners to carry out business analysis.
- Scoping work to ensure all developments have sufficient information for costing and delivery timelines if required.
- Analysis of systems, considering reliability, systems risks and code.
- Object-Oriented Design (OOD) to ensure scalability and maintainability.
- Functional, load balancing and unit testing.
- Driving the identification and evaluation of new technologies and methodologies.
- Integrating, supporting, maintaining and documenting application functionality.
- Acting as a champion of code quality and best practices, whilst maintaining and enforcing standards of compliance.
- Assuming true ownership of projects and the responsibility for their delivery on time.
Specific Technical Skills and Experience
- Moodle v2 or higher development experience
- Drupal development/customization experience
- 4+ years commercial development experience
- Proficiency in PHP, and other languages plus a desire to learn other languages
- REST XML RPC APIs and demonstrable experience in xAPI integration is an added value
- Linux systems administration skills.
- Experience administering Apache Web Server.
- Proficiency in LDAP, SAML and similar
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Technologies
- Data management using SQL, MSSQL and etc…
- Sound knowledge of XHTML and CSS
- Moodle App development
- Proficiency in eLearning Authoring tools is an added value
- Experience with offline LMS solution and synchronization with online version is an added value
Physical Environment and Demands:
Level of Contact with Children: Low
**Contract Type : consultancy (this is open to individuals and organizations could apply for this consultancy)
Location: this candiate will be based in one of the country offices in Asia or placed remotely
Closing Date: 30 September 2017
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Please note that only applications and CVs written in English will be accepted.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Child Protection Policy.
As an international child centred community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
Plan International operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all areas of the international community.