Indonesia: West Java Earthquake and Tsunami - Jul 2006
Most read reports
- The New Humanitarian: Philippines mulls formula donations during disasters. 30 Apr 2013
- Govt. Indonesia: Java Reconstruction Fund Progress Report 2011 - Building on Success: Effectively Responding to Multiple Disasters. 25 Oct 2011
- Paras Indonesia: Indonesia: Tsunami warning system to cost $142 million. 21 Jul 2006
- UN GA: Common efforts to strengthen collective humanitarian response capacity should seek to alleviate suffering, improve survival chances, says General Assembly President. 13 Nov 2006
- AAI: Indonesia: Pangandaran tsunami. 21 Jul 2006
Relief groups say survivors are getting enough aid, at least in the emergency's initial stages.
By Michael J. Coren | Contributor to The Christian Science Monitor
PANGANDARAN, INDONESIA - Hundreds of police, military, and relief workers continued to clear debris as well as retrieve and bury the dead three days after a tsunami struck this once idyllic coastal resort town.
Each night, survivors crowd into camps that hold thousands of people. Some return during the day to scavenge in the ruins of their homes.
A warning system is in place for Sumatra island, but not Java, scene of Monday's wave.