Madagascar: Tropical Storm Eric - Jan 2009
Tropical storm "Eric" descended on the regions of Sofia, Sava, Atsinanana, and Analanjirofo in the north-east of Madagascar at 8 am on 19 Jan 2009, carrying heavy rain and winds at the speed of up to 95 km/h. Landing in the district of Fenerive-Est, "Eric" edged southwards through the districts of Fenoarivo Atsinanana, Sainte-Marie, Vavatenina, Ambositra, Toamasina I, Antsohihy, Mampikony, and Mandritsara,veering off into the Indian Ocean by 2 pm. Approximately 1,000 persons remained homeless with another 1,700 persons impacted to varying degrees by the tropical system. One person died and 24 were injured. (OCHA, 22 Jan 2009)
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- UN GA: Central Emergency Response Fund - Report of the Secretary-General (A/64/327). 24 Aug 2009
- IFRC: La bonne formule pour vaincre le paludisme - Rapport publié à l'occasion de la Journée mondiale contre le paludisme. 21 Apr 2009
- OCHA: Southern Africa: Areas Affected by Floods and Cyclones in 2009. 1 Apr 2009
- OCHA: Consolidated Appeals Process (CAP): Madagascar Flash Appeal 2009 - Revision. 24 Jul 2009
- TNH: Africa: Coastal populations at risk as climate changes. 20 May 2009
This report covers the period 1 January to 30 June 2009
Programme purpose: To increase the capacity of the International Federation to assist National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to reduce the number of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters through the provision of timely and adequate financial support for disaster response from the Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF).
During the first six months of the year, the DREF allocated a total of CHF 7,484,779 in 49 different allocations to 32 Red Cross Red Crescent National Societies.
Item 72 (a) of the provisional agenda
Strengthening of the coordination of humanitarian and
disaster relief assistance of the United Nations, including
special economic assistance: strengthening of the coordination