Bangladesh: Cyclone - Nov 1998
Most read reports
- UNDP: Bangladesh: UNDP and Government sign multi-million dollar disaster management deal. 21 Jan 2003
- IFRC: Bangladesh Appeal No. 01.53/2003. 18 Dec 2002
- DCA: South Asia: On the edge of disaster. 2 Apr 2002
- IFRC: Bangladesh: Cyclone - Information Bulletin n° 1. 23 Nov 1998
- ENN: Field Exchange Aug 2001: Cash transfers in emergencies: a review of recent experiences . 31 Aug 2001
Earlier today, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Government of Bangladesh signed an agreement to launch a USD 14.444 million initiative, aimed at substantially reducing the impact of natural and man-made disasters on the people of Bangladesh over the next five years.
Each year about 210 mill. people are affected by Nature's ruthless raging. Most of them are poor and live in developing countries. Millions of lives and money can be saved if the natural disasters are anticipated.
Summary of Review1
This recently published paper by the British Red Cross aims to answer the following questions:
- Can cash transfers improve access to food in the same way as direct food distribution?
- What effect does a cash distribution have on the local economy?
- Is cash assistance practically feasible?
BANGLADESH - CYCLONE
OCHA Situation Report No. 1