Bangladesh: Cyclone - Sep 1997
Most read reports
- UNDP: Bangladesh: UNDP and Government sign multi-million dollar disaster management deal. 21 Jan 2003
- UN DHA: Bangladesh Cyclone Situation Report No.2. 1 Oct 1997
- UN DHA: Bangladesh Cyclone Situation Report No.1. 29 Sep 1997
- IFRC: Bangladesh cyclone. 2 Oct 1997
- ACT: Bangladesh Cyclone Alert. 29 Sep 1997
Earlier today, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Government of Bangladesh signed an agreement to launch a USD 14.444 million initiative, aimed at substantially reducing the impact of natural and man-made disasters on the people of Bangladesh over the next five years.
The cyclonic storm that hit the southern coast of Bangladesh on 27 September killed at least 27 people, injured 1,529 and
destroyed 71,800 houses. Bangladesh Red Crescent volunteers assisted in the massive evacuation of 750,000 people after
storm warnings had been broadcast on its radio alert system.
The Red Crescent branches of Lakshmirpur and Bhola, supported by the Federation, distributed 15 tonnes of food to 1,500
DHAGVA - 97/0522
A severe cyclonic storm - Two B, the second one this season, hit the Southern coast of Bangladesh in the early hours of Saturday, 27th September, 1997. After crossing the coastal area the storm weakened into a land depression and moved towards Assam in north-east India.