El Salvador: Floods - Oct 2019Ongoing
Heavy precipitation in El Salvador began on 12 October 2019 due to the influence and combination of a lowpressure system. The continual rain led caused rockslides and landslides, as well as falling trees and collapse of slopes, which disrupted transit on highways and roads. Unofficial figures report that at least four people have died following the heavy rain that caused the current flooding and landslides in the country. The heavy rains led to a landslide and 70-metre deep hole in the Santa Lucia, Ilopango municipality in the San Salvador department. Hundreds of people were evacuated. Six homes were destroyed and around 400 others (of which 103 have been declared uninhabitable by Civil Protection) are at risk of collapse. To date, these households have received scarce support to address their short-term housing needs. (IFRC, 28 Oct 2019)
Most read reports
- FEWS NET: Global Weather Hazards Summary: November 15 - 21, 2019. 14 Nov 2019
- OCHA: Latin America & the Caribbean - Monthly Situation Snapshot - As of 01 November 2019. 4 Nov 2019
- FEWS NET: Global Weather Hazards Summary: November 1-7, 2019. 31 Oct 2019
- FEWS NET: Global Weather Hazards Summary: October 18-24, 2019. 17 Oct 2019
- OCHA: Latinoamérica & el Caribe - Panorama de Situación Mensual - al 01 de noviembre 2019. 4 Nov 2019
Delayed rainfall sustains dryness in Southern Africa, while flooding is likely to continue across East Africa
Heavy rainfall triggered flooding in Accra, Ghana last week.
Rising water levels in the Ubangui River triggered flooding along the river basin into northern and western DRC 3. Heavy rainfall during the past couple of months has significantly raised water levels in the Nile River and its tributaries in Sudan and South Sudan triggering floods.
CENTROAMÉRICA: SEGURIDAD ALIMENTARIA EN EL CORREDOR SECO
CENTRAL AMERICA: FOOD SECURITY IN THE DRY CORRIDOR
Heavy rainfall triggers flooding in parts of Central and East Africa
Heavy rainfall was reported in northern Ghana and bordering areas of Burkina Faso.
The Ubangui River has triggered flooding along the river basin into northern and western Democratic Republic of Congo last week.
Flooding will continue this week due to saturated ground conditions and continued rainfall in the Afar region of Ethiopia, eastern South Sudan, and the border of Ethiopia and Sudan.
A. Situation analysis
Parts of Kenya, Ethiopia, and Somalia receive heavy rainfall as flooding continues in Senegal
Senegal has experienced significant flooding over the past two weeks. Belowaverage rainfall is forecast next week and is likely to reduce the risk for continued flooding.
Flooding continues in central Nigeria. Heavy rainfall is expected next week.
Heavy rainfall is expected in parts of Sudan next week, maintaining a high risk for flooding.
- Heavy rain and landslides affected most of El Salvador over 13-14 October, resulting in 4 deaths.
- More than 250 people were evacuated following a landslide in Ilopango Municipality (San Salvador department).
- Alerts for heavy rain have been issued in various departments and locally heavy rain will persist over northern areas.