Kenya: Floods - Aug 2011
Starting August 2011, heavy rains in northwestern Kenya caused several cases of flash flooding in the Kisumu East, Nyando, and Turkana districts. Around Kakuma, an estimated 60,000 people experienced flooding with water sources, latrines and homes damaged (UNICEF, 17 Aug 2011). As of 12 December ,Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) estimated at least 25 people had lost their lives in flood-related incidents and approximately 15,045 households (91,692 people) were displaced from their homes (IFRC, 12 Dec 2011).
Most read reports
- The Government of Kenya and the UN Launch a 764 Million USD appeal for Humanitarian Response in Kenya for 2012 - 2013
- Rainfall, disease, hitting refugee camps in Kenya, Ethiopia
- Better hygiene and safer water for 7000 drought-affected Kenyans
- Climate Prediction Center’s Africa Hazards Outlook For USAID / FEWS-NET - November 3 – November 9, 2011
- Horn of Africa Crisis - Situation Report No. 26