Mauritania: Floods - Aug 2010
From 19 to 21 August 2010, 72 hours of torrential rain led to the flooding of 8 regions in Mauritania, affecting 38 communities. IFRC registered 1,750 affected families in Aleg, Magta Lahjar, and Kaedi. The collapse of houses led to the displacement of over 1,000 families of which 310 were hosted in two school buildings. The destruction of 37 dykes in the other 5 regions prevented assessment. IFRC, 31 Jul 2011
Most read reports
- West Africa: Epidemic attack rate threshold exceeded - Meningitis, Cholera, Measle, Hemorrhagic Fever - as of 09 Nov 2010
- Document stratégique 2012 - Document de préparation pour une crise alimentaire et nutritionnelle au Sahel et les pays limitrophes
- USAID/OFDA ONGOING DRR PROGRAMS IN SOUTH, WEST, AND NORTH AFRICA IN FY 2010 (as of 30 Sep 2010)
- Persistent rains aggravate floods in West and Central Africa
- Mauritania Executive Brief February 28, 2011
Depuis 2004 les acteurs humanitaires régionaux d’Afrique de l’Ouest ont développé leur analyse situationnelle et préparé leur réponse conjointe à travers un processus d’appel consolidé régional (CAP Afrique de l’Ouest). En 2012, le Tchad, le Niger, la Côte d’Ivoire et le Liberia ont développé leur propre CAP et une consultation de OCHA auprès des Résidents Coordinateurs/ Coordinateurs Humanitaires (RC/CH), a conduit le Groupe de Travail du Comité permanent inter-agences pour le CAP (IASC on CAP) Genève à prendre la décision ne pas élaborer de CAP régional pour l’Afrique de l’Ouest.
Note: Map in 2 pages
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC) Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) is a source of un-earmarked money created by the Federation in 1985 to ensure that immediate financial support is available for Red Cross Red Crescent response to emergencies. The DREF is a vital part of the International Federation’s disaster response system and increases the ability of National Societies to respond to disasters.
- Food availability throughout Mauritania, Mali, and Senegal is above average. Moreover, demand for agricultural labor, a key source of income for the poorest households, has been average to above average, and prices for coarse grains are below last year's prices in most southern rural markets.
1. In its letter dated 21 December 2007 (S/2007/754), the Security Council agreed to extend the mandate of the United Nations Office for West Africa (UNOWA) until 31 December 2010, and requested me to report on the implementation of the revised mandate of UNOWA every six months. The present report covers the period from 1 July to 31 December 2010.
West Africa's humanitarian situation remains of deep concern. The region continues to be marked by complex and severe humanitarian crises, often exceeding the populations' coping capacities and deepening their vulnerability. In 2010, the region was found to have the highest rates of under-five mortality in the world. About one-quarter of all global child deaths occur in West Africa.
- Between October and December 2010 a marked improvement is expected in most of the country's rural areas, due to rainfall promoting good pastoral and agricultural conditions.
Over 1.8 million people have been affected by floods in Central and West Africa, which have also killed nearly 400 people, the United Nations humanitarian arm reported today, adding that Benin remains the country hardest hit by the disaster.
Elisabeth Byrs, a spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), told reporters in Geneva that greater financial resources are needed to respond to the situation in West Africa, where over 1.6 million people have been affected and 307 have lost their lives.
Benin remained the country hardest hit by the floods, …
26 October 2010
By Moustapha Diallo, IFRC, Dakar
Malick, who lives in the suburbs of Dakar, the capital of Senegal, does not take his eyes off the sky whenever thick black clouds gather. His anxious family pray that more rain does not fall.
"The rain is a gift of God, but now we pray that it will stop. All our houses are flooded," he explains. "We lost everything."
It's almost the end of October and still the rains continue to fall.
Seasonal improvement in food security in spite of flooding problems
Despite some dryness in July and the first dekad of August, grazing conditions are now good across the country, in keeping with July's Outlook assumptions. The impact of government agriculture programs has permitted an expansion of both irrigated and diéri cropping, and a significant increase in agricultural production is expected. Food security is improving seasonably, but the lean season will continue until November for poor farming households in central river valley.
Entre octobre et décembre 2010 on s'attend à une nette amélioration des conditions dans la majeure partie des zones rurales du pays, en raison d'une pluviométrie qui a déterminé de bonnes conditions pastorales et agricoles. La production des cultures hâtives est venue renforcer les apports de l'élevage. Les termes d'échange continuent d'évoluer au profit des ménages malgré la hausse des prix de certaines denrées alimentaires de base importés.
Les inondations liées à la saison des pluies ont provoqué d'importants dégâts depuis juin dernier. On dénombre au moins 377 morts et près d'1,5 million de personnes affectées.
Amélioration saisonnière de la sécurité alimentaire malgré les inondations
- Malgré la séquence sèche de juillet et de la première décade d'août, les conditions pastorales sont actuellement bonnes, dans tout le pays, conformément à la perspective de juillet. L'impact de la politique gouvernemental ayant permis d'accroitre les superficies tant dans le diéri que dans l'irrigué, on s'attend à une importante hausse de la production agricole. Les niveaux de la sécurité alimentaire s'inscriront dans leur amélioration saisonnière habituelle.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC) Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) is a source of un-earmarked money created by the Federation in 1985 to ensure that immediate financial support is available for Red Cross and Red Crescent emergency response.
Food prices stabilized during the months between April and July but remained very high, particularly during the month of Ramadan.
Insecurity in the country continues as the military has to face Al-Qaeda attacks. Also the dry spell in previous months and the recent flooding have negative impacts on food security.
Agencies estimate a situation of food insecurity and hunger due to current lean season and high prices.
The Government has introduced support to producers and measures to drive down prices for poor consumers.