Italy: Floods - Oct 2009
Most read reports
- ECHO: Floods Events in Europe: UCPM activations from 2006 to 2016 - ECHO Daily Map | 23/02/2017. 23 Feb 2017
- Xinhua: Italy's floods death toll finally rises to 35 . 6 Oct 2009
- Reuters: Berlusconi pledges 1 bln euros to fight mudslides. 4 Oct 2009
- UN DGC: Press Conference on World Disaster Reduction Campaign 'Making Cities Resilient'. 12 Jul 2010
- DPA: Italy: Frantic search for missing after mudslides in Sicily. 3 Oct 2009
With 58 cities already committed to "Making Cities Resilient", and 70 more preparing to participate, the campaign had made great progress, Margareta Wahlström, Assistant Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction and Special Representative of the Secretary-General, said at a Headquarters press conference today.
"A resilient city," said Ms. Wahlström, "is a city that is able to withstand and recover from the effects of disaster." The new initiative, coordinated by the inter-agency Secretariat of the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster …
ROME, Oct 4 (Reuters) - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi pledged on Sunday 1 billion euros ($1.45 billion) for areas threatened by landslides, after heavy rains and mud killed at least 22 people in Sicily.
Berlusconi flew over the region around Messina where houses were flattened and roads washed away by a torrent of rain and mud last week.
The death toll is likely to rise as 40 people are missing, while more than 500 people have been left homeless.
"We had foreseen this disaster and given the alert," Berlusconi told reporters in Messina.
Messina_(dpa) _ Rescue workers were digging to find survivors at the Sicilian port city of Messina Saturday, after heavy rains caused floods which washed away roads and homes.
Early Saturday the fire brigade recovered the body of one woman, bringing the death toll so far to 19.
Heavy rainfall was still hindering the rescue efforts, as teams tried to dig through the mud.