Brazil: Floods - Jan 2003
Most read reports
- World Vision: World Vision responds to those affected by continuous rainfall in Brazil. 28 Jan 2003
- DPA: Death toll from rains in Brazil rises to 13. 29 Jan 2003
- ReliefWeb: Brazil - Floods: Areas Affected. 29 Jan 2003
- IFRC: Pan American Disaster Response Unit Appeal No. 01.47/2003 Programme Update No. 2. 9 Oct 2003
- IFRC: Brazil: Floods in Minas Gerais - Information Bulletin n° 1. 29 Jan 2003
Appeal Target: CHF 1,539,402 Programme Update No. 2
Washington, D.C. - The Administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Andrew S. Natsios today announced that USAID is providing $50,000 to Servico Voluntario de Assistencia Social (SERVAS), the primary Brazilian non-governmental organization in the state of Minas Gerais, for the local purchase of relief supplies for the victims of the recent flooding in the state. The funding will be provided in response to the disaster declaration issued yesterday by U.S. Ambassador Donna Hrinak and the request for assistance from the government of Minas Gerais.
Rio de Janeiro (dpa) - Five people were killed in flooding sparked by heavy rains in the Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro, bringing the death toll up to 13, Globonews television said.
This bulletin is being issued based on the needs described below reflecting the information available at this time. Based on further updates and details from assessment reports, or should the situation deteriorate, the Federation will consider international support through an Appeal.
by Ana Guerra - Communications