Fiji: Floods - Dec 2000
Most read reports
- Govt. Fiji: Fiji: Flooding in the West brings towns to halt. 8 Dec 2000
- USAID: Asia - Ongoing Mitigation Initiatives Fact Sheet #1, Fiscal Year (FY) 2002. 15 Nov 2001
- CIA: Fiji - Shaded Relief Map. 1 Jan 1987
- OCHA: Fiji - Floods OCHA Situation Report No. 1. 15 Dec 2000
- Govt. Fiji: Fiji: Survey of damage underway. 14 Dec 2000
U.S. AGENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
BUREAU FOR HUMANITARIAN RESPONSE (BHR)
OFFICE OF U.S. FOREIGN DISASTER ASSISTANCE (OFDA)
Ref. OCHA/GVA - 2000/0226A
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Fiji - Floods
Surveys on the extent of damage caused by flash floods is slowly underway in the Western Division.
However, officials said today that despite improvements to the weather, complete surveys can only be done when all the roads are accessible.
December 8th, 2000ate
Heavy flooding in Ba and Tavua yesterday (07/12/00) brought almost all activities to a standstill.
Numerous roads and bridges were closed to traffic and villagers sought sanctuary in various evacuation centers.
Acting Divisional Officer for Tavua, Ram Chandra, said that about 60 men, women and children from Nabuna Village had fled to the Tavua District School.
"A major portion of the village is under water and people don't want to take risks which could spell disaster," Mr Chandra said.
In Ba, part of the town's main trading center and …