Somalia: Floods - Nov 1997
Most read reports
- CRED: Atlas of Mortality and Economic Losses from Weather, Climate and Water Extremes 1970-2012. 11 Jul 2014
- UN SCN: RNIS Update April 1998. 30 Apr 1998
- NOAA: DF097-90 Somalia Flooding of November - December, 1997. 1 Dec 1997
- IFRC: Assisting flood victims . 11 Dec 1997
- UNDP-EUE: Horn of Aftica: Monthly Review. 16 Mar 1998
Geneva, 11 July 2014 (WMO) - Weather, climate and water-related disasters are on the rise worldwide, causing loss of life and setting back economic and social development by years, if not decades. From 1970 to 2012, 8 835 disasters, 1.94 million deaths, and US$ 2.4 trillion of economic losses were reported globally as a result of hazards such as droughts, extreme temperatures, floods, tropical cyclones and related health epidemics, according to a new report.