Zimbabwe: Flash Floods - Feb 2014
Heavy rains in parts of Zimbabwe in late January and early February 2014 resulted in deaths and displacement of people, coupled with destruction of property. The worst affected areas were Chivi and Masvingo districts in Masvingo province and Tsholotsho district in Matabeleland North (OCHA, 07 Feb 2014). On 11 Feb, Zimbabwean authorities launched an international appeal for $20 million to help some 20,000 people displaced by flooding (Govt, 12 Feb 2014).
By the end of February, an estimated 2,194 households had been moved to the Chingwizi resettlement camp(OCHA, 28 Feb 2014). By 16 May, an estimated 15,625 people were living at Chingwizi(OCHA, 16 May 2014). In August, the Government officially closed the Chingiwizi transit camp (The Zimbabwean, 19 Aug 2014).
Maps & Infographics
WASHINGTON DC— UNICEF has assured victims of last year’s Tokwe-Mukosi floods that they will get the much-needed assistance as the rainy season fast approaches with most of them still living in poor conditions.
Most of the victims have been complaining that the bulk of funds being donated in their name have not been reaching them.
This report covers the period 1 January to 31 December, 2014.
WASHINGTON DC— International human rights group, Human Rights Watch, has appealed to the United Nations to assist the more than 20,000 people affected by the flooding of the Tokwe Mukosi basin in 2014.
The rights group is accusing the government of neglecting the flood victims.
The families were first relocated at Chingwizi Camp and have since been transferred to Nuanetsi Ranch, which even the government has admitted is not habitable.
The area is infested with killer spiders, snakes and unsafe and scarce water.
It never rains but pours for Tokwe Mukosi flood victims who were displaced last year following heavy flooding along the dam basin. They have failed this year to till their land or plant any crops due to shortage of draught power and farming inputs.
The villagers said their cattle died during the relocation exercise to Nuanetsi ranch in Mwenezi in the country’s agricultural region five, which is mostly suitable for cattle ranching and not crop farming.
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
WASHINGTON DC— About 58 families in Tsholotsho, Matabeleland North province, that were affected by floods in February on Monday received donations of clothes, soap and sanitary ware from the Zimbabwe Human Rights Association (ZIMRIGHTS).
ZimRights director Okay Machisa says they were touched by the plight of the flood victims and in June they organised a Soap and Shirt Winter Festival concert to mobilise assistance for the families.
MASVINGO, 10 September 2014 (IRIN) - More than 3,000 families in Zimbabwe’s southeastern Masvingo Province who accuse the government of forcibly resettling them to small plots of undeveloped land, are facing hardships including a lack of adequate food, shelter, health and education facilities.
The South African Government has placed an immediate ban on the entry of non-South Africans from the Ebola-hit West African countries of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
The Southern Africa Regional Climate Outlook Forum (SARCOF), taking place from 27 to 29 August in Windhoek, Namibia, will develop the first regional seasonal forecast for the coming rainfall season.
Two cases of Ebola have been confirmed in northern DRC, which are said to be a different strain to the outbreak in West Africa.
Fifty-one-year old Sarah Mupakati does not remember the last time she ate sadza, a cooked cornmeal. She opens her one-room tent which she shares with her five grown-up children - the corner that serves as her pantry is empty. It has been like that for the past month. The little she has been getting from barter trading is used up that same day. It is all too easy to understand her relief as she joins the queue to receive her first food rations from the World Food Program (WFP).
A Cabinet Commission Review found that during the 2013/2014 flood season, all provinces with the exception of Namibe recorded rains with considerable material and human damage, including the destruction of 6,317 houses, affecting more than 70,000 people.
Chingwizi/Mwenezi– The food situation at Chingwizi Resettlement Camp had become dire but, thanks to a generous contribution from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF), the UN World Food Programme is able to provide food for the next four months to some 15,625 people displaced in February by flooding in Masvingo province in the south-east.
An estimated 383,261 people were affected by floods or storms and at least 117 people lost their lives during the 2013/2014 rainfall season.
Tropical Cyclone Hellen, which impacted Mozambique, Comoros and Madagascar in late March, was one of the most powerful cyclones ever recorded in the Mozambique Channel.
In Zimbabwe, the more than 15,625 people evacuated remain in dire living conditions.
The political environment throughout the country has remained relatively peaceful with a significant reduction in incidents of politically motivated human violations recorded during the month. There were 181 incidents witnessed in April down from the 224 cases recorded in March 2014.
Contrary to government claims that Non Governmental Organisations were shunning Chingwizi flood victims, it emerged this week that the NGOs have so far spent close $3 million in both material and financial assistance amid reports that some of the donations might have been misappropriated.
The government through Masvingo provincial affairs minister Kudakwashe Bhasikiti had alleged that NGOs were not doing enough to help the flood victims displaced early this year following floods that hit Masvingo province.
The disaster declaration expired on 9 May, three months after the onset of the emergency, and will not be extended.
The food situation at Chingwizi is critical with nothing in stock for May.
There are currently 3,125 households living at either the camp or permanent site at Chingwizi.
According to district authorities, 376 families have relocated to the permanent site at Chingwizi.
Humanitarian assistance continues, but gaps remain and need to be addressed.
Thousands of villagers displaced by the Tokwe Mukosi floods have been living in appalling conditions in Chingize holding camp since January.
Last month, with their children strapped on their backs, many walked 130 km to Ngundu Growth Point to demonstrate against government neglect. Since then, food aid and other donations have been withheld and they have been accused of trying to tarnish the image of President Robert Mugabe and Zanu (PF).
Flood Victims Face Loss of Food Aid Unless They Grow Sugar Cane
(Johannesburg, May 15, 2014) – The Zimbabwe government is threatening to deny food aid to about 20,000 displaced people, apparently to force them into sugar cane farming at a ruling party ethanol project, Human Rights Watch said today.
Syria: Fierce fighting between opposition groups has led to further displacement in Deir-ez-Zor while a truce between the Government and the opposition is expected to see the Old City of Homs handed over to the Government after its recent campaign to retake it.