Zimbabwe: Flash Floods - Feb 2014
Heavy rains in parts of Zimbabwe in late January and early February 2014 resulted in deaths and displacement of people, coupled with destruction of property. The worst affected areas were Chivi and Masvingo districts in Masvingo province and Tsholotsho district in Matabeleland North (OCHA, 07 Feb 2014). On 11 Feb, Zimbabwean authorities launched an international appeal for $20 million to help some 20,000 people displaced by flooding (Govt, 12 Feb 2014).
By the end of February, an estimated 2,194 households had been moved to the Chingwizi resettlement camp(OCHA, 28 Feb 2014). By 16 May, an estimated 15,625 people were living at Chingwizi(OCHA, 16 May 2014). In August, the Government officially closed the Chingiwizi transit camp (The Zimbabwean, 19 Aug 2014).
A. Situation analysis
Description of the disaster
WASHINGTON DC— About 58 families in Tsholotsho, Matabeleland North province, that were affected by floods in February on Monday received donations of clothes, soap and sanitary ware from the Zimbabwe Human Rights Association (ZIMRIGHTS).
ZimRights director Okay Machisa says they were touched by the plight of the flood victims and in June they organised a Soap and Shirt Winter Festival concert to mobilise assistance for the families.
Government has secured $2 million dollars to compensate the flood victims in Masvingo who have been living under inhuman conditions since February this year.
Some of the villagers started getting their compensation funds last week amid reports that the government was still pumping out a reported $300,000 every month to feed the 12,000 flood victims now living on Nuanetsi Ranch.
This year, Southeastern Zimbabwe has experienced the worst flooding for 40 years after a fractured dam caused over 20,000 people to abandon their homes. As one local farmer put it, ‘we are living like refugees in our own country’. ShelterBox has been helping for over six months to shelter families, and now to support their children’s education.
MASVINGO, 10 September 2014 (IRIN) - More than 3,000 families in Zimbabwe’s southeastern Masvingo Province who accuse the government of forcibly resettling them to small plots of undeveloped land, are facing hardships including a lack of adequate food, shelter, health and education facilities.
WASHINGTON DC— Reports say police are harassing displaced Chingwizi villagers, who were recently allocated plots at Nuanetsi Ranch, after they were stranded at a temporary shelter in Masvingo province due to lack of funds.
Attorney Kennedy Masiye of the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights says the situation may get out of hand if it is not stopped as the villagers feel that the police are overstepping their authority.
Some of the villagers claim that the police are terrorizing them at their new home.
The South African Government has placed an immediate ban on the entry of non-South Africans from the Ebola-hit West African countries of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
The Southern Africa Regional Climate Outlook Forum (SARCOF), taking place from 27 to 29 August in Windhoek, Namibia, will develop the first regional seasonal forecast for the coming rainfall season.
Two cases of Ebola have been confirmed in northern DRC, which are said to be a different strain to the outbreak in West Africa.
The government has officially closed Chingiwizi transit camp where at least 12 000 people affected by flooding along the Tokwe Mukosi dam basin have been staying since February amid reports that police have since declared the camp site a no go area.
Villagers said that they were forced to accept the one hectare piece of land offered by the state while those who resisted were completely chased away.
The Zimbabwean has established that the camp is now deserted and only armed police officers have remained.
Minister of State for Masvingo Provincial Affairs, Kudakwashe Bhasikiti, is claiming mission accomplished in relocating more than 20,000 flood victims from Chingwizi holding camp to Nuanetsi Ranch.
The minister is claiming that the relocated people are “very happy” and had been held hostage for months by hooligans whom he claims were blocking their move using threats.
But some of the relocated people have shot down Bhasikiti’s claims and allege they are starving and are sleeping in the open in Nuanetsi.
Defence for Children International Zimbabwe (DCIZ) has blamed ‘well-wishers’ for the rising cases of child abuse.
The chief executive, Elfas Mcloud Zadzagomo, said some 'co-called' well-wishers who visit desperate people in places such as Chingwizi Transit Camp and children on the streets, allegedly to help, end up abusing the intended beneficiaries.
“We have learnt with dismay that people supposedly assisting people at Chingwizi were among those accused in the rising number of cases of sexual abuse,” he said.
It never rains but pours for victims of the Tokwe-Mukosi flood victims. The over 20,000 people affected by the floods have been struggling to get food and water.
Now the government is confiscating tents that were donated by non-governmental organizations from the flood victims and dumping them in ‘no man’s land’ in the Nuanetsi Ranch.
This is in a move meant to force the villagers to leave the Chingwizi Holding Camp where they have been living since February.
(Johannesburg, August 9, 2014) – Anti-riot police on August 3, 2014, beat and arrested hundreds of people at a camp housing approximately 20,000 displaced people in southern Zimbabwe, Human Rights Watch said today. A humanitarian crisis is developing as thousands fled in fear and may be living in the open without access to food or health facilities.
The Zimbabwe Human Rights NGO Forum (the Forum) unreservedly condemns the violence that erupted in Chingwizi Camp from 31 July. The violence occurred following the government’s attempts to relocate clinic facilities from the camp that has a carrying capacity of about 3 000 families to the site earmarked for resettlement, which currently has only about 600 families.
Fifty-one-year old Sarah Mupakati does not remember the last time she ate sadza, a cooked cornmeal. She opens her one-room tent which she shares with her five grown-up children - the corner that serves as her pantry is empty. It has been like that for the past month. The little she has been getting from barter trading is used up that same day. It is all too easy to understand her relief as she joins the queue to receive her first food rations from the World Food Program (WFP).
A Cabinet Commission Review found that during the 2013/2014 flood season, all provinces with the exception of Namibe recorded rains with considerable material and human damage, including the destruction of 6,317 houses, affecting more than 70,000 people.
Chingwizi/Mwenezi– The food situation at Chingwizi Resettlement Camp had become dire but, thanks to a generous contribution from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF), the UN World Food Programme is able to provide food for the next four months to some 15,625 people displaced in February by flooding in Masvingo province in the south-east.
By Davison Mudzingwa and Francis Hweshe
MASVINGO, Zimbabwe, Jun 25 2014 (IPS) - As the villagers sit around the flickering fire on a pitch-black night lit only by the blurry moon, they speak, recounting how it all began.
They take turns, sometimes talking over each other to have their own experiences heard. When the old man speaks, everyone listens. “It was my first time riding a helicopter,” John Moyo* remembers.
“The soldiers came, clutching guns, forcing everyone to move. I tried to resist, for my home was not affected but they wouldn’t hear any of it.”