Sri Lanka: Floods - Oct 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- OCHA: Sri Lanka: Disaster Preparedness and Planning Map - Batticaloa District (as of 16 Jan 2009). 16 Jan 2009
- UN GA: Coopération internationale en matière d'aide humanitaire à la suite de catastrophes naturelles : de la phase des secours à celle de l'aide au développement - Rapport du Secrétaire général (A/64/331). 27 Aug 2009
- FAO: Crop prospects and food situation - No. 5, Dec 2008. 18 Dec 2008
- UN GA: International cooperation on humanitarian assistance in the field of natural disasters, from relief to development - Report of the UN SG (A/64/331). 27 Aug 2009
- OCHA: Sri Lanka: Batticaloa District - Flood Preparedness and Planning map - Road conditions & locations of vulnerable bridges (as of 6 Jan 2009). 6 Jan 2009
Colombo_(dpa) _ Heavy fighting raged between government troops and Tamil rebels in northern Sri Lanka as soldiers inched their way into rebel-controlled areas amidst mounting casualties on both sides, reports from the area said, officials and rebel sources said Thursday.
Tamil rebels claimed they killed 89 soldiers in fighting outside Kilinochchi town, 360 kilometres north of the capital, on Wednesday, but the military claimed they lost only 20 soldiers in the fighting and killed at least 27 rebels.
Though there were no immediate independent confirmation about the casualty figures …
Colombo_(dpa) _ At least four people drowned and some 136,000 have been displaced in floods sweeping areas of Sri Lanka over the past five days, the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said Sunday.
Keerthi Ekanayaka, Coordinating Officer of the DMC in the north-west, west and south, said more than 25,000 homes were affected.
The heavy rains also affected Tamil rebel-held northern areas, where government troops are continuing military operations.
At least 150,000 civilians had already been displaced by the fighting in the north, most living in temporary shelters. dpa ad sc