Philippines: Flash Floods - May 2008
Most read reports
- IFRC: Philippines: Plan 2009-2010 (MAAPH001). 19 Nov 2008
- Govt. Philippines: Philippines: NDCC update re effects of Typhoon Butchoy and Tropical Storm Cosme (Halong) as of May 16 2008. 16 May 2008
- US DOS: ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) to hold first disaster relief exercise in the Philippines. 6 Apr 2009
- ASEAN: Announcement by the ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management (ACDM): ASEAN's regional emergency response and humanitarian assistance capacities put to the test in simulated typhoon disaster scenario. 22 Aug 2008
- Xinhua: Tropical storm expected to make landfall in northern Philippines. 16 May 2008
Bureau of Public Affairs
Office of the Spokesman
Disasters in the Philippines in 2006 affected 8.61 million families (approximately 10.4 per cent of the country's population) and caused the deaths of approximately 3,000 people (3.59 per 100,000 inhabitants). Poverty among 27.6 million Filipinos (more than 32 per cent of the population) increases impact of disasters. Communicable diseases such as tuberculosis, malaria, dengue, and HIV continue to pose significant challenges.
Simulated Exercise: Typhoon Disaster Scenario
"In the early morning of 27 August 2008, Typhoon "X" with a velocity of 140 km/hour landed at Muang District, Rayong, an industrial and coastal province in Thailand. The typhoon caused heavy damage to houses, public buildings and facilities, cargo ships and fishing boats. It also damaged electricity poles, triggering a power shortage in the province.
1. Situation Overview
- The southwest monsoon and rains brought about by Typhoon Butchoy and TS Cosme triggered floodings and minor landslides in the following provinces: NCR Metro Manila (Quezon City); Region IV-13 (Palawan), Region VI (Negros Occidental, Iloilo and Antique); Region VII (Cebu, Bohol and Negros Oriental); Region XII (Sarangani, Sultan Kudarat and North Cotabato); and ARMM (Basilan and Shariff Kabunsuan).
MANILA, May 16, 2008 (Xinhua via COMTEX News Network) -- Most parts of northern Philippines have been placed under tropical storm alert as tropical storm " Cosme" is gaining strength and will make a landfall in Ilocos in northern Luzon Saturday, said the Philippine Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration on Friday.
"Cosme is seen to make a landfall in northern part of Luzon, particularly in Ilocos area on Saturday and Cagayan on Saturday," Nathaniel Cruz, weather branch chief at the administration said.
Cruz said "Cosme" was last spotted 240 …
by Rachelle M. Nessia
Dumaguete City (15 May) -- A hinterland barangay in Valencia town has been placed under a state of calamity following a landslide that displaced at least 17 families on May 13.
In a statement, Valencia Information Officer Des Tilos disclosed that the Sangguniang Bayan of Valencia has declared Brgy.
1. SITUATION OVERVIEW:
The active low pressure area east of Mindanao had intensified into a tropical depression and was named 'Butchoy.' The typhoon entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility on May 7, 2008 and exited out of the country on May 12, 2008.