China: Earthquake - Apr 2013
A 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit Lushan county of Ya'an city in south China's Sichuan Province on 20 Apr 2013. The earthquake's epicenter was monitored near Lushan county at a depth of 13 kms. As 23 May, 196 people were killed, 14,785 injured, 237,655 displaced and 2.1 million affected. 193,000 houses collapsed and 510,000 were severely damaged. (IFRC, 23 Jul 2013)
Most read reports
- ACAPS: Global Emergency Overview Snapshot, 22 - 29 April 2013. 29 Apr 2013
- ACAPS: Global Emergency Overview Snapshot, 15 - 22 April 2013. 22 Apr 2013
- OCHA: Asia-Pacific Humanitarian Bulletin 2013. 6 Mar 2014
- OCHA: Asia-Pacific Region 17 - 22 April, 2013, Natural Disasters and Other Events being monitored by the OCHA Regional Office for the Asia-Pacific. 22 Apr 2013
- OCHA: China Earthquake Location Map - 20 April, 2013. 20 Apr 2013
The Red Cross Society of China (RCSC) has delivered thousands of blankets, tents and first aid kits to survivors of an earthquake in the south of the country.
The disaster on Saturday (April 20) is thought to have killed at least 150 people and injured more than 11,000, while about 245,000 have been forced to leave their homes.
More than 400 RCSC staff are already in or on their way to the area with supplies of food, water, medicines and rescue equipment.