Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- The Political Economy of Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction in Pakistan
- Central Emergency Response Fund - Report of the Secretary-General (A/64/327)
- Pakistan Floods - Historical Natural Disaster Events (as of 21 Jul 2011)
- International cooperation on humanitarian assistance in the field of natural disasters, from relief to development - Report of the UN SG (A/64/331)
- Pakistan: Earthquakes 1973 - 2012 DEM Analysis Map (as of 8 May 2012)
2008 was a year of major humanitarian challenges. Natural disasters such as Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar, the devastating earthquake in China, flooding in India and Brazil or the hurricanes in the Caribbean once again highlighted the dangers of the unbridled forces of nature. In the complex political crises in Africa, as well as in Afghanistan and Iraq, unresolved conflicts made it impossible to improve the precarious humanitarian situation of people living there.
Asia and the Pacific
Problem Statement/Context: The Asia Pacific region has an emergency profile characterized by a combination of natural disasters, civil/political unrest with pockets of conflict situations, and recent emerging new global threats such as high food and fuel prices crisis, the threat of pandemic influenza and other emerging diseases.