Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- The Political Economy of Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction in Pakistan
- Central Emergency Response Fund - Report of the Secretary-General (A/64/327)
- Pakistan Floods - Historical Natural Disaster Events (as of 21 Jul 2011)
- International cooperation on humanitarian assistance in the field of natural disasters, from relief to development - Report of the UN SG (A/64/331)
- Global Map of the Western District of Islamic Republic of Pakistan - Elevation (as of 30 Oct 2008)
NEW YORK, 23 December 2008 - UNICEF called today for more concerted action to make schools safe for children.
"Whether caused by poor construction or natural catastrophes, school collapses invariably have disastrous effects on children," said Cream Wright, UNICEF Global Chief of Education. "Schools must be safe places where children can learn and thrive."
The year 2008 was marked by a number of school collapses - many of them fatal - in various parts of the world.
Following the 3 May cyclone in Myanmar, more than 4,000 schools still need to be repaired or …