Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Central Emergency Response Fund - Report of the Secretary-General (A/64/327)
- International cooperation on humanitarian assistance in the field of natural disasters, from relief to development - Report of the UN SG (A/64/331)
- The Political Economy of Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction in Pakistan
- Global Map of the Western District of Islamic Republic of Pakistan - Elevation (as of 30 Oct 2008)
- Overview of earthquake affected districts of Ziarat & Quetta, Balochistan Province, Pakistan (as of 12 Dec 2008)
Item 72 (a) of the provisional agenda
Strengthening of the coordination of humanitarian and
disaster relief assistance of the United Nations, including
special economic assistance: strengthening of the coordination
Berlin - In 2008, Johanniter mainly focused on providing medical care throughout 22 countries, and invested donations and subsidies in the amount of nine million Euros - half a million more than the previous year. Although, the share of donations has slightly decreased from 2007, subsidies from third-party donors, such as Germany's Foreign Office, have increased.
2008 was a year of major humanitarian challenges. Natural disasters such as Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar, the devastating earthquake in China, flooding in India and Brazil or the hurricanes in the Caribbean once again highlighted the dangers of the unbridled forces of nature. In the complex political crises in Africa, as well as in Afghanistan and Iraq, unresolved conflicts made it impossible to improve the precarious humanitarian situation of people living there.
Contribution In The First Year Of Three-Year Partnership Will Help Build Habitat Homes in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Ethiopia
DUBAI, 12th December 2008: ETA Star Property Developers, a real estate company based in the United Arab Emirates, recently presented its donation of two million dirham (about US$544,650) in the first year of a three-year partnership with Habitat for Humanity.
The contribution, which came from ETA Star's Homes for the Homeless campaign, will help Habitat to build homes with families in need in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Ethiopia.