Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- The Political Economy of Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction in Pakistan
- Central Emergency Response Fund - Report of the Secretary-General (A/64/327)
- Pakistan Floods - Historical Natural Disaster Events (as of 21 Jul 2011)
- Strengthening of the coordination of emergency humanitarian assistance of the UN: Report of the UN SG (A/64/84-E/2009/87)
- Overview of earthquake affected districts of Ziarat & Quetta, Balochistan Province, Pakistan (as of 12 Dec 2008)
By Mubashir Fida, IFRC information officer in Ziarat
The severe cold and dry winter winds that blow over Baluchistan are a recurring phenomenon, and those who call the region home are used to them.
However, this year has been different. With many homes reduced to rubble after the earthquake in late October, people in Ziarat and Pishin have been forced to stay in tents while the mercury dipped to a cruel minus 6 degrees Celsius during the night.
Responding to the harsh situation, the Pakistan Red Crescent Society (PRCS) has provided warm emergency shelters to 3,600 households, with …