Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- The Political Economy of Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction in Pakistan
- Central Emergency Response Fund - Report of the Secretary-General (A/64/327)
- International cooperation on humanitarian assistance in the field of natural disasters, from relief to development - Report of the UN SG (A/64/331)
- Overview of earthquake affected districts of Ziarat & Quetta, Balochistan Province, Pakistan (as of 12 Dec 2008)
- Pakistan Floods - Historical Natural Disaster Events (as of 21 Jul 2011)
sted in Issue 115 - April 2011 News from PAHO/WHO
In December 2010, 26 experts from the international humanitarian community met in Cuba to discuss the use of field hospitals and foreign medical teams during emergency situations. The meeting was organized by PAHO/WHO and included representatives from international organizations, NGOs, and other interested parties coming from the Americas, Europe, Australia, the Middle East, and other regions.
NEW YORK, 23 December 2008 - UNICEF called today for more concerted action to make schools safe for children.
"Whether caused by poor construction or natural catastrophes, school collapses invariably have disastrous effects on children," said Cream Wright, UNICEF Global Chief of Education. "Schools must be safe places where children can learn and thrive."
The year 2008 was marked by a number of school collapses - many of them fatal - in various parts of the world.
Following the 3 May cyclone in Myanmar, more than 4,000 schools still need to be repaired or …