Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- The Political Economy of Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction in Pakistan
- Central Emergency Response Fund - Report of the Secretary-General (A/64/327)
- Pakistan Floods - Historical Natural Disaster Events (as of 21 Jul 2011)
- International cooperation on humanitarian assistance in the field of natural disasters, from relief to development - Report of the UN SG (A/64/331)
- Strengthening of the coordination of emergency humanitarian assistance of the UN: Report of the UN SG (A/64/84-E/2009/87)
Item 72 (a) of the provisional agenda
Strengthening of the coordination of humanitarian and
disaster relief assistance of the United Nations, including
special economic assistance: strengthening of the coordination
NEW YORK, 23 December 2008 - UNICEF called today for more concerted action to make schools safe for children.
"Whether caused by poor construction or natural catastrophes, school collapses invariably have disastrous effects on children," said Cream Wright, UNICEF Global Chief of Education. "Schools must be safe places where children can learn and thrive."
The year 2008 was marked by a number of school collapses - many of them fatal - in various parts of the world.
Following the 3 May cyclone in Myanmar, more than 4,000 schools still need to be repaired or …