Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2008
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- The Political Economy of Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction in Pakistan
- Pakistan Floods - Historical Natural Disaster Events (as of 21 Jul 2011)
- International cooperation on humanitarian assistance in the field of natural disasters, from relief to development - Report of the UN SG (A/64/331)
- Pakistan: Earthquakes 1973 - 2012 DEM Analysis Map (as of 8 May 2012)
- Coopération internationale en matière d'aide humanitaire à la suite de catastrophes naturelles : de la phase des secours à celle de l'aide au développement - Rapport du Secrétaire général (A/64/331)
NEW YORK, 23 December 2008 - UNICEF called today for more concerted action to make schools safe for children.
"Whether caused by poor construction or natural catastrophes, school collapses invariably have disastrous effects on children," said Cream Wright, UNICEF Global Chief of Education. "Schools must be safe places where children can learn and thrive."
The year 2008 was marked by a number of school collapses - many of them fatal - in various parts of the world.
Following the 3 May cyclone in Myanmar, more than 4,000 schools still need to be repaired or …