Indonesia: Sumbawa Earthquake - Nov 2007
Most read reports
- OCHA: Major Natural Disaster in Indonesia During 2007. 31 Dec 2007
- IFRC: Indonesia: Sumbawa Earthquake - Information Bulletin n° 1. 27 Nov 2007
- FAO: Crop prospects and food situation - No. 1, Feb 2008. 19 Feb 2008
- USGS: M=6.5 Sumbawa region, Indonesia Earthquake Report. 25 Nov 2007
- USGS: USGS Shake Map: Sumbawa Region, Indonesia (as of 25 Nov 2007). 25 Nov 2007
- Early prospects point to the possibility of a significant increase in world cereal production in 2008, mainly following expansion of winter grain plantings in Europe and the United States coupled with generally satisfactory weather conditions.
- International prices of most cereals remain high and some are still on the increase.
Note: Map production date estimated.
On November 26th 2007 at 00.02 am, three earthquake at the magnitude of 6.7 Richter Scale, 5 Richter Scale , and 6.8 Richter Scale rattled Sumbawa Island, Indonesia. The Epicenter is at 18 miles below sea level just off the northeast coast of Sumbawa Island, Nusa Tenggara Barat.
Panca Nugraha, The Jakarta Post, Mataram
Three people are feared dead, while scores more are injured and hundreds of buildings destroyed or badly damaged in various districts in Bima and Dompu regencies, West Nusa Tenggara, after powerful earthquakes hit the area Monday.
Data at the Mataram Meteorological and Geophysics Agency (BMG) showed the 6.8 magnitude quake occurred at 2:53 a.m. local time on Nov.
Glide no. EQ-2007-000215-IDN
The Federation's mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity. It is the world's largest humanitarian organization and its millions of volunteers are active in 186 countries.
This Bulletin is being issued for information only, and reflects the situation and the information available at this time. The Federation is not seeking funding or other assistance from donors for this operation at this time.
Just after midnight on November 26th 2007 at 00.02 am, three earthquake at the magnitude of 6.7 Richter Scale, 5 Richter Scale , and 6.8 Richter Scale rattled Sumbawa Island, Indonesia. The Epicenter is at 18 miles below sea level just off the northeast coast of Sumbawa Island, Nusa Tenggara Barat. The impact of earthquake was reportedly felt all the way to Bali Island, located 215 miles from the epicenter The local media reported casualties of 6 dead, 45 injured, 40 houses reportedly damaged so far. A tsunami warning was immediately issued, but was cancelled a few hours later.
The following is a release by the United States Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center: An earthquake occurred in Sumbawa Region, Indonesia at 9:02 AM MST, Nov 25, 2007 (Nov 26 at 12:02 AM local time in Indonesia). The magnitude and location may be revised when additional data and further analysis results are available.
Three people killed, hundreds injured and hundreds of houses destroyed (V) in the Bima-Dompu-Raba area. Felt (IV) at Sumbawabesar; (III) at Taliwang.