China: Earthquake - Aug 2003
Most read reports
- UN GA: General Assembly reviews work of Economic and Social Council, begins debate on strengthening United Nations humanitarian assistance. 20 Oct 2003
- USGS: M=5.4 Eastern Nei Mongol, China Preliminary Earthquake Report. 16 Aug 2003
- IFRC: East Asia region Appeal no. 01.69/2003 Programme Update No. 2. 17 Dec 2003
- Oxfam: China disaster relief appeal 2003. 4 Sep 2003
- ReliefWeb: China: Earthquake - Situation Map. 19 Aug 2003
An earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter Scale hit Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region on 16 Aug 2003. Considered the worst earthquake to strike Inner Mongolia in 700 years, it has caused at least 4 deaths and more than 1,000 injuries. More than 50,000 houses have collapsed, and over 80,000 houses have been seriously damaged. In addition, more than 15,000 students have had to leave school due to the disaster.