India: Earthquake - Jan 2001
Most read reports
- Information on Earthquake in India: Gujarat Earthquake National Relief Fund
- India: National disaster management guidelines - management of earthquakes
- UN System Response to the Gujarat Earthquake Immediate Needs and Action Plan
- Turning the Tide; Good Practices in Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction
- Guidance Note on Recovery: Private Sector
Operation USA is responding to the needs of the victims of the 7.9 magnitude earthquake in Western India that hit at 8:50 am local time January 26, 2001. Officials have counted more than 16,000 bodies and almost 70,000 injured. The Indian government estimates that 100,000 may have died. Indian government and other aid organizations' assessments indicate that 37.5 million people have been affected.