India: Earthquake - Jan 2001
Most read reports
- Information on Earthquake in India: Gujarat Earthquake National Relief Fund
- India: National disaster management guidelines - management of earthquakes
- UN System Response to the Gujarat Earthquake Immediate Needs and Action Plan
- Turning the Tide; Good Practices in Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction
- Guidance Note on Recovery: Private Sector
During a moving and at times tearful church service, Christians in Gandhidham, Gujarat, sought to come to terms on Sunday (Feb 11) with the destruction wrought by the worst earthquake in living memory.
Tearfund's Christian partners in the devastated state of Gujarat report an urgent need for tents, food and medicines for the survivors of the worst earthquake to hit India for 50 years. Meanwhile, Tearfund in the UK today joined other leading relief and development agencies to launch a major appeal for funds as part of the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC).
Three Tearfund partner agencies in India have sent emergency teams to the devastated state of Gujarat where an earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale has killed an estimated 20,000 people and left hundreds of thousands more people homeless.