India: Earthquake - Jan 2001
Most read reports
- Information on Earthquake in India: Gujarat Earthquake National Relief Fund
- India: National disaster management guidelines - management of earthquakes
- UN System Response to the Gujarat Earthquake Immediate Needs and Action Plan
- Gujarat earthquake response
- Turning the Tide; Good Practices in Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction
Comprising 45 countries in South Asia, East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific, the region is home to more than half of the world's population, the majority of whom are poor and among the most disadvantaged in the world. Some 600 million women, men and children in the region live below the USD 1 a day poverty line, while 1.8 billion survive on less than USD 2 a day. Compounding the situation, the region is also highly disaster-prone. The diversity, scale and frequency of natural disasters in the region are daunting.